Pioneer SX-650

Crotalus

I just thought I'd show some pics of my latest project. I bought this from Kamakiri a while back. I replaced the treble pot that was sheared off, the laminated wooden side strips were in terrible shape. I replaced them with solid walnut strips. You can't see them well in the pics but the real wood makes the receiver look really nice. It has been cleaned inside and out. The best thing about it is that is sounds incredible. The level of detail it has amazes me, and considering it is only 35 wpc, it has great range. If the SX-x5x series would just have watt meters, they would be my favorite. The build quality is awesome.

You gotta love those SX's. I just replaced the wood strips on my 650 with solid walnut as well. What a diffeerence! Great job.

That looks sharp! I like the real wood pieces you made for the corners. How do they attach? Would you be interested in making me a pair?

That makes the SX-650 look great. I may need to do the same thing to my SX-750, its sides strips are just starting to peel. I have some fancy grade walnut from a gun stock blank that maybe large enough to make some solid side strips.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Being fairly new to this, I've really tried to do the best work I can because I've really fallen in love with this vintage equipment. Being able to show it off here at AK is just icing on the cake!

As far the wood panels go, I had a local custom woodworking shop make them for a measly $10. I'm sure you could find someone local to do it. They are kind of an odd size, so finding stock walnut that size might be hard. The guy said he could make a solid walnut case for about $100. A little high for the SX-650 but nice to know someone willing to do it in case I find something worth a bit more that needs one.

You have to take the case off first, then the faceplate and they are attached by three wood screws each on the inside of the faceplate.

Nice work! Don't you just feel a really nice warm glow when you make something older but of real value, just shine?

Rob

Back
Top Bottom