Pioneer SX-680 needing repair in Portland Or. Free

Posted about 18 hours ago

Wow. I've called ads around here like that and I'm too late after twenty minutes.

I'm also shocked. If no one picks it up tomorrow, I might just do it myself. I drive right by the place on my way to work.

Mike

Should be picking it up this weekend....
Fingers crossed it's nothing I can't fix.

Last edited:
I repaired two SX-680s for a friend, both lit up and had no sound. I expected the STK modules were dead.

Both were the same part, a resistor (can't remember the value) that opened in the power supply dropping power to the preamp.

Either my friend is very very lucky, or this is a common failure. I replaced PS caps while I was in there, they tested a little on the low side but not bad, no idea why the resistors opened (no signs of heat either).

I hope that you're as lucky. If yours has the same symptom PM me and I'll look up what resistor it was (but should be easy to find, closest to the back of the unit, two in a row, one closer to the tuner side of the receiver IIRC).

Lots of good info on the SX series here at AK. I've been looking up stuff on the 750 and 780 lately and there are some great threads on common problems.

I repaired two SX-680s for a friend, both lit up and had no sound. I expected the STK modules were dead.

Both were the same part, a resistor (can't remember the value) that opened in the power supply dropping power to the preamp.

Either my friend is very very lucky, or this is a common failure. I replaced PS caps while I was in there, they tested a little on the low side but not bad, no idea why the resistors opened (no signs of heat either).

I hope that you're as lucky. If yours has the same symptom PM me and I'll look up what resistor it was (but should be easy to find, closest to the back of the unit, two in a row, one closer to the tuner side of the receiver IIRC).

Same deal with the one sx-680 that I've restored. I think it was a 600 ohm resistor or something. Swapped it out and the amp worked perfectly fine again. There is a thread on here detailing the fix.

With that said, I wasn't very impressed with the sound of the 680, even after recapping and replacing a few noisy transistors. Might sound better with more efficient speakers, but the bass was just really weak. And the plastic push buttons are a bit of a turnoff as well.

Back
Top Bottom