Pioneer SX 737 speaker advice

7whales7

Addicted Member
Hello i'm new to AK,so i'm not sure if i'm posting in the right place,or if the answer is somewhere i haven't found yet?I have a SX737 and a few sets of speakers i've been trying out ,Polk monitor 7 b's and Infinity RS 7's.It seems the receiver may not have enough power to dive these speakers, i can only go a little over quarter to under half volume with out distortion/slight clipping,i did not push the issue.I thought the Polks would be more efficient than the Infinty's but they seem to distort around the same level. Is it possible the receiver has a problem?Or do these speakers need more power,which is what i'm thinking?Any suggestions on a set of speakers to run?I believe its a 35-40 wpc,its in excellent shape,room size is 12'x 12'x 8'ceiling.any suggestion would be helpful.

Well i may have answered part of my question,i had a set of Bozak L 200a's i was gonna use in my garage,(when i got around to it), medium size 2ways.they seem to do the job.However,they don't have the greatest sound.I'm assuming the other speakers just use or need more power.Just looking for a good sounding vintage speaker to match this receiver. I've heard some of the older KLH'S & EPI's, and Dynaco's A-25's?(i have no experience with them)?Any ideas?

Klipsch KG4. They are effecient enough for the SX-737 to drive, readily available and easy to upgrade (Crites diaphragms) if you get the bug.

Your Pioneer should power most speakers fine in that size room, the exception being extremely inefficient ones. The sound of speakers is tremendously varied. I would recommend searching out different ones on Craigslist or at rummage/garage sales, then listening to them. If you decide you don't like a pair, and you haven't paid too much, you can get your money back or maybe even make some $. Then it's on to the next pair, until you find what you really like and decide to keep.

Also remember the way the volume is wired on that receiver, it's basically maxed out around half volume. Also remember to turn the loudness off as you get over about one third volume. May clean up the sound a bit. Play with the tone controls also.

Your Pioneer should power most speakers fine in that size room, the exception being extremely inefficient ones

I agree with montrecott, l have owned an SX-737 and it powered my different speakers at around 88-90db efficiency just fine in a bigger room than yours. Yes your speakers will gain better control with more power but still should sound great with your Pioneer.
I think there may be something up with your SX-737? Where you listening at a reasonably high volume when you experienced the distortion? What is the efficiency of your speakers?

I agree with montrecott, l have owned an SX-737 and it powered my different speakers at around 88-90db efficiency just fine in a bigger room than yours. Yes your speakers will gain better control with more power but still should sound great with your Pioneer.
I think there may be something up with your SX-737? Where you listening at a reasonably high volume when you experienced the distortion? What is the efficiency of your speakers?
It wasn't to loud, and not for long.but as mentioned above by Ggreg the loudness was on,maybe the had something to do with it.Its a pretty mint receiver from a senior family member,not abused,but it is old and you never know what age has done.I'm gonna have to look up my speakers efficency,was using Polk monitor 7 b's and Infinity RS7's.Thanks everyone

Also remember the way the volume is wired on that receiver, it's basically maxed out around half volume. Also remember to turn the loudness off as you get over about one third volume. May clean up the sound a bit. Play with the tone controls also.
I did have the Loudness on!good point!It seems around 1/3 to half volume where it has the problems.I don't what to hurt any thing by a bad combo of gear.thanks

Yeah, that receiver should power most speakers pretty well. I have an SX-636 which I have used with my big Rectilinear III's, which I believe aren't too efficient, and the Pioneer sounded great. I will say that it does have a pretty robust loudness circuit, so it should only be used as intended, when listening at low volumes.

Thanks, i got some thinking to do. I'm not happy with the Polk monitor 7's with this receiver, they sound,muddy or dull to me, they could need a recap? The Infinity's sound good, but seem to use to much power . The Bozaks sound o.k.maybe missing a little mid range? Hmm....the search continues.

Thanks, i'll check those JBL's out, i'm keeping my eyes open for some local stuff, but getting frustrated with the prices and selection on Craig's here in my area.We have some good thrift stores here but the pickings are usually slim, and garage sale season is coming.

I'm running an SX-737 with JBL L26's. Sound great to me. I've tried it with EPI 100v's as well and liked that also ,but doesn't have the bass of the JBL's

I also tried some Bose 301's, not bad at all (I just like the L15's better..).. worth a look

JBL L15's are hard to find.. I looked for quite a while to find mine. Bose 301's (Mine are model III) are much easier to find.

Actually 301's are probably not a bad match for that receiver. There are some Bose speakers I do not care for, but 301's are not one of them. Series two and three's are my favorite ones and they are plentiful and usually reasonably priced. Klipsch KG's are another option, but I would listen to them first to see if they are your cup of tea.

After researching some of the speakers suggested, i liked the efficiency of the Klipsh KG's but not sure on the sound, i'd have to give them a listen. I got the receiver from an uncle and he was using Bose speakers, he sold them, not sure on the model? Unfortunately i can't ask him, he's no longer with us. But Bose may be a good option.Thanks for the ideas everyone!

I've been wanting to try some Jbl speakers for a while on some other gear i have, but having a hard time finding anything vintage for a decent price in my area.I was always concerned the SX 737 didn't have enough power for Jbl's. Don't get me wrong the reciever works, just would like a little more volume out of it.It seems that deep bass on a song gives it a hard time, at "higher volumes",and not "ear splitting volumes",i just want to be clear! I know its' not a powerhouse, but i was expecting a little more out of it. It appears to be fine for casual listening. So i'm assuming higher efficiency is the way to go? Or the receiver has got an issue that needs to be checked out.

Back
Top Bottom