Pioneer SX-750 Dial LED Conversion

Spenser

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The extra touch of a little AC to DC board (to run the new LED dial lamps), appealed to me.

Plus an additional idea.

Here is the idea. I was about to place this little board up front near the face plate, as X-Ray Tony B does in one of his videos (which requires drilling), and then I spied some real estate -- and an existing, free bolt hole -- at the end of a plate attached to the heat sink. So I put it there.

Please excuse the temporary wiring you see in the pictures. Three of the five indicator lights where out, too, hence the other wire nuts. Things are floating free for now; taking the receiver apart later for a healthy amount of substitutions.

IMG_20170720_181624689_HDR.jpg IMG_20170720_181144985_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Thank you for the link.

Dave Wojo sent me one of these lamps as a sample but I hadn't tried it yet.

Side note here, the partticular "straw hats" I got (packet of 25 from China for $5.99), advertised as "warm white," seem to have a bit of a pale green cast to them.

Has anyone tested whether any distortion of radio signal reception is being produced by these plug-and-play LEDs as dial lights? The strip LEDs I cut into five three-feet lengths and stuck up under my bench shelf fed by an ATX power supply are producing "hiss" in a receiver 10 feet across the room. Granted there are a ton more LEDs and resistors in the strip lights but I wonder.

Heck,
Now I'm on a search again for the 8v's.
I buy the lamps from Dave and I think he is asking around $3 for them. That's about the going rate for the 8v.

You can probably use 12V LEDs if you run them off of one of the regulated supplies. Every receiver has a dedicated supply for the tuner, which is usually ~ 13V. Could put a small pot in series and adjust the intensity.

Spenser,

Properly installed LEDs wont cause hiss. An ATX power supply or any other switch mode power supply produces all sorts on noise. They have circuitry to reduce the problem but maybe its a cheap supply or something is failing.

IMG_20170707_210626270.jpg Thanks, two.dogs. Oh yeah it's an old Dell ATX from a hamfest for a dollar. It is quiet when it is operating alone, i.e. no radio interference with an am/fm receiver across the room. It is when I plug in the 500 resistors and LEDs or however many there are in 15 feet of strip-LED lighting that I pasted up under the shelf of my bench. That is definately what is creating the radio interference. I had read somewhere that the strip lighting might pose a problem with certain kinds of bench work. I will use incandescent and/or CFL when the interference will be an issue. The strip lighting was a fun experiment. Cannot play the receiver though while working unless perhaps stick the antenna outside and cable the signal in. Too lazy.

That is an interesting idea about running the 12V LEDs off a receiver's 13V supply including a variable control.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom