1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer SX 750 or SX 780

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by Gregory A, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Gregory A

Gregory A New Member

I am trying decide which to purchase. I had a SX 727 years ago but can not find one that is good to go. I have EPI 201 speakers which I have had since the '70s. was with the 727. I am re-gluing the rubber surround to the basket. The rubber is as supple as it was when bought, better. I have am looking at the 750 or 780. I due respect the professionals on this forum. What to do? Thank you.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. spark1

spark1 Super Member

SX-750. It uses discrete output transistors. The 780 uses STK modules. Much harder to find if they ever need to be replaced.

Both are good examples of late 70's, mid-level mass-market receivers. Unfortunately, neither sports a wood-veneered cabinet...but I think the front panels/displays of the x50 and x80 series are among the best of the era.

Both can benefit from additional heat sinking for the voltage regulators...this is a common failure point for these models. But in general, they are both reliable workhorses.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    UncleBingo likes this.
  3. Watthour

Watthour Electron Rancher - JS3600

Welcome Aboard!

Eventually, someone will make the obvious remark - Why not both?

I would also give the nod to the 750 for various reasons. However, the 780 with its essentially irreplaceable output modules has recently been granted a stay of execution, thanks to a few AK members who have devised, refined, and offered replacement output modules which are superior to the original STKs and are more robust. In other words, don't let the lack of genuine output modules frighten you from stepping into a 780 it you decide you like it for other reasons.

The 780 has VU meters, which are entertaining. The 750 has a bit more power, and, in my opinion, a better tuner section. Both offer similar facilities and peripheral unit support. The 780 had a bit less distortion and less colored sound when new, but a refreshed 750 can be just as clean and more forgiving. The 750 has a few deficiencies which can be rectified, as does the 780.

In essence, it's really a coin-toss. I just happen to see more potential in the 750. Also, 780s seem to command a higher price for some unfathomable reason, but if you can buy either comfortably, that's not much of an issue.

Dave1384 likes this.
  4. Dave1384

Dave1384 Stuck in the 70's

The SX 750 is rarer. Beware the on/off switch on that model. It's almost impossible to repair. If you're buying either on epay, be careful and try to read between the lines in the description. I would buy one locally first.

I think the 7 series are the most attractive in Pioneer's lineup. And really all you need. A 636 though is a good one, also.

UncleBingo likes this.
  5. Gregory A

Gregory A New Member

Thanks for all your input. I just came across a 727 from a service center. Bought it. Thanks again.

6. Watthour

Watthour Electron Rancher - JS3600

That should get you started nicely. There is a LOT of support here for the 727.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Gregory A

Gregory A New Member

Had one in the 70's. Like everyone that had one, sorry I got rid of it. Goes well with my EPI 201's. Thanks

8. Dave1384

Dave1384 Stuck in the 70's

Does it have any speaker plugs ?

9. Gregory A

Gregory A New Member

Unit came with 2. I have all 6 from the 727 before. Good idea to keep them. Karma.

Dave1384 likes this.