Pioneer SX-828 Idle current won't go below 25mv

I believe that is the FM de-emphasis switch. On the multi-voltage units one position for Europe and on position for the US. I'd need to open up the unit and see if it is connected to the caps that do this work, but I think that is what I figured out when I was inside mine.

Have you checked the emitter resistors? I had a similar issue that was solved by replacing elderly resistors.

I have another CD player that has variable output. Adcom 5 disc changer. All good. No more strange clipping. Obviously sounds a lot better too.

After running it for few days I decided to leave idle current alone. One channel trimmer is maxed and another is near the max position. After another round of deoxit I was able to achieve 20mv on the channel that was 25mv initially.
So both channels are at 20mv and stable. I did not test emitter resistors. I don’t have meter that can accurately measure 0.5ohm.
I’ll keep an eye on it. I’ll probably go for a full recap if I have to open it again. Low filter network definitely has a bad capacitor somewhere as it pops when switching on and off. Not important feature for me, so will have to wait.

Back
Top Bottom