Pioneer SX-828 receiver question

well, I be damn!!!! I feel like a big dummy. It was the the jumpers, I owe jhtstone a brew! Now, without the jumpers in place, how do i send a signal to my powered sub?

That's great that it turned out to be something simple.

Through happenstance, I ended up with both an 828 and 727. To me, beautiful receivers both in looks and sound, especially since I tried them with Dynaco A-25 speakers.

What speakers are you enjoying your 828 with?

well, I be damn!!!! I feel like a big dummy. It was the the jumpers, I owe jhtstone a brew! Now, without the jumpers in place, how do i send a signal to my powered sub?

Excellent!! (insert Bill and Ted here).

Glad it was something simple.

As for the powered sub, I don't know if the tape monitor switch would work for that purpose or not. I thinking not as you probably need the use of the preamp for volume control. If the pre out connection worked for your powered sub, you could use a y connector in place of the existing jumpers. One male to the pre out, one side of the y to the main in, one side of the y to the powered sub. You would have pre amp control to the sub but it would be coupled with the main outputs. The volume of sub and main speakers would not be independent. If you have a level adjustment on the sub, you might find a satisfying setting to leave it at. Worth a shot; the y connectors are very cheap.

I've found that the Early 70's PIONEER Receivers have corrosion problems especially if set up for a few months or longer and not used. With and Without DeOxit treatments. Complete DeOxit Treatment is recommended Again (multiple times are sometimes necessary). Make sure you do EVERY THING that goes in/out, UP/DOWN, and Round and Round. IIRC the 828 has two or more Tape Monitors. Make sure these are OFF. These are the most problematic of the switches are they don't get used much, and all signals go thru them.

OK since we're talking help I too have a sweet 828 or it does have a couple problems though.
1st I was cleaning it one night and when I finished de-oxing etc I got static in right channel. Can hear music but with static.
To get to circuit boards from the top you have to remove the black metal cover right? I know stupid question but a true tech newbie here.
2nd Low filter switch has awful sound when pushed down, ( toggle switch)
Any help for this dummy appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom