Pioneer SX 9000

Macasterj

I posed these questions in a different section but I think this may be the place for them.

I am looking at picking up a SX 9000 that's is great condition and has been completely serviced by a reputable shop. I have a Sansui 881, Yamaha CR 620 and 440 where does the Pioneer stack up against those? My main speakers are a pair of KLH 5s.

How is the pioneer phono stage? How about the tuner? Is it a good receiver over all?

Well I just picked one of these up several weeks ago. It has never been touched and does have a few issues I am going to work out.

Initial impressions are it is very nicely made, fit, finish, metal etc. Mine has a beautiful Walnut wood case too. Tuner is very strong and pulls the difficult stations in my area. Makes effortless deep bass but it is a cap coupled receiver so I am not surprised.

It has a lot of caps, and a lot of notoriously noisy transistors. The reverb unit is basically useless and imparts noise in mine the minute it is switched on but I will sort that out. It is neat though with the little wheel that moves when you increase the amount of reverb. Tone color light is cool too but again kind of useless. I do like the tone color settings though; sort of a built in EQ.

I like the sound of it, tube like in a lot of ways. Did not pay much for it and really bought it to work on my skills as it has a lot of boards to go along with all those caps. Figure if I can sort this one out it will help me down the road. Restored a 2325, 800c, and an SX-2000 so far (All thanks to AK) :thmbsp: This one will be challenging.

As it sits mine needs the FM light replaced and there is a hiss in the right channel, not bad but it is there. Already replaced the transistors in the tone color board and I am going to be replacing caps on most of the other including the coupling caps.

Can take some pictures of the inside if anyone is interested. Have some glamor shots too :D

I will watch this thread with interest as I just picked up one of these the other day myself.
It's in mint shape and the walnut cab is beautiful.
I haven't even opened it up yet to investigate what's on the inside but it looks to be really well made.
Good to read how it sounds very tube like.

:lurk:

Last edited:
Well I just picked one of these up several weeks ago. It has never been touched and does have a few issues I am going to work out.

Initial impressions are it is very nicely made, fit, finish, metal etc. Mine has a beautiful Walnut wood case too. Tuner is very strong and pulls the difficult stations in my area. Makes effortless deep bass but it is a cap coupled receiver so I am not surprised.

It has a lot of caps, and a lot of notoriously noisy transistors. The reverb unit is basically useless and imparts noise in mine the minute it is switched on but I will sort that out. It is neat though with the little wheel that moves when you increase the amount of reverb. Tone color light is cool too but again kind of useless. I do like the tone color settings though; sort of a built in EQ.

I like the sound of it, tube like in a lot of ways. Did not pay much for it and really bought it to work on my skills as it has a lot of boards to go along with all those caps. Figure if I can sort this one out it will help me down the road. Restored a 2325, 800c, and an SX-2000 so far (All thanks to AK) :thmbsp: This one will be challenging.

As it sits mine needs the FM light replaced and there is a hiss in the right channel, not bad but it is there. Already replaced the transistors in the tone color board and I am going to be replacing caps on most of the other including the coupling caps.

Can take some pictures of the inside if anyone is interested. Have some glamor shots too :D

Fairlane how did your unit come out I just picked up one of these

Back
Top Bottom