1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer SX-9000

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by mdemott, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mdemott

mdemott Member

Hello:

Starting on a project I'm really excited about. Going to go through a couple non-working SX-9000's. One is my dad's and the other is one I'm going going to gift to my son.

Not a lot of restoration threads out there on this unit so I'm looking forward to starting one...or two.

I have used parts lists off of audiokarma for a few receivers now and they are very much appreciated. I cannot find anything similar for the SX-9000. I'm curious if anyone has one to post that isn't out there yet.

I'm 100% ready to dig into this on my own. The transistor replacements are pretty simple to come up with. The capacitors will take some work. If nothing is out there that I missed I'll try to get something posted. I feel obligated after all the help I've received.....especially from Mark the Fixer..

Thought I'd ask if someone had one or if there is any advice on quickly cross referencing capacitor part numbers from the service manual (and checking the board for what is really there) with a list that I missed. Trying to save some time so I can get working.

Thanks.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. markthefixer

markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

Let us come up with the replacement choices, you could jump start them by doing what I did in the current SX-535 thread; getting the boards and their part numbers into a text file or (preferred!) an excel spreadsheet. Download the SX-535 service manual to relate what you see posted to what's in the manual. Once we have the list of caps and other parts (trim pots, transistors, diodes etc) we can start the selection process, and I can get to the reverse engineering of the circuits for the replacement semiconductors.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sx-535-noisy-transistors.809085/

Even the caps have some considerations (you might recognize some in the 535 list) that would just waste misdirected effort in finding subs.
    I have been doing this for years, and the SLOWEST part is the part I have asked you to do. Once I have that list I have evolved procedures that allow me to fly through selections. I think I got the 535 out in about 3 solid hours, and I had to start from scratch with an empty spreadsheet and enter the original parts specifications in FIRST.. I just can't do that very often. With the snow in the area this weekend, I may be able to scrounge up a bit more time once a spreadsheet is ready.

I hope I don't offend by observing that otherwise the parts selection process would more resemble a game of ennie-meenie-miney-moe - especially in the transistor selections. What replacement works in one model with a particular part number may well not work in another model with the same original part number. That's what the reverse engineering is about, and I have done it for many Pioneer models over the decade(s).

3. mdemott

mdemott Member

Thanks! I almost have it ready in Excel as you describe and will finish up this weekend.
    No offense taken at all. My worry on the caps was the right....I'd say series/type....of cap being used in the right part of the receiver. 4-5 years ago when I started getting interest in this I ordered bags of 'audiophile grade' Nichicon capacitors with no clue what I was doing. Might be a fit for some areas of the unit but not overall the best choice.
    Thanks again and I will have something over in the next day or two.

4. mdemott

mdemott Member

I'm trying to upload an excel file but it won't work. It is uploaded as a txt file but if the formatting isn't easy to work with let me know and I will alter as needed.

I really appreciate this help. Hoping I can return the favor in some form for someone in the future. Been using this site so much the last few years I will have to look for ways to support it further.

Attached Files:

5. freakdaddy25

freakdaddy25 New Member

I have an installation, operation, service manual with printed circuit boards, and parts list for my SX-9000.
    I can take pictures, and post them in the thread if you would like.

6. mdemott

mdemott Member

Thanks. I have the manuals you mention. Trying to use that info to come up with a list of modern part numbers for replacement parts.

freakdaddy25 likes this.

7. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

(popcorn eating emoji insert here)

watching...customer is dropping off a 9000 today so this interests me. I can assist if need be

8. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

:lurk:

There is a near mint one here waiting for some love.
    I've gone through a couple of these before. It's a lot of work but they are worth it.

9. markthefixer

markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

I have the spreadsheet and am working on it, it won't be instant results (lots of work). Why the yellow highlighting?

10. mdemott

mdemott Member

Those were things I wanted to double check.

11. mdemott

mdemott Member

Starting the deoxit cleaning process. Once we get parts list together think I will starts fresh thread detailing the restoration.