Pioneer sx-950 thumping on phono ?????

tomwall

I have a SX 950 that I am very happy with. Just recently the receiver started a thumping sound when I put it in phono mode. It does it on both phono channels and when there is no phono hooked up to it. The other channels such as fm am and aux all sound fine. The thumping seems to take on a life of its own changing intensity and duration. Does any one have any idea of what this could be and have an idea of how to isolate and fix the problem. I definatly want to save this receiver. I am thinking that it could be a bad capacitor in the phono stage. Please help me save my Sx !!!!!!!!

Tom :cry:

Sounds like a leaky coupling cap in the phono stage. Would be a good idea at this point to just shotgun all the electrolytics in the phono preamp section. You can do the rest of the unit at a later time, but these machines are all at the point where a total recapping is good practice.

TP

What types or brands of caps would be a good choice for this? I heard of these boutique type caps, but honestly I would like to keep the cost down, but I dont want to mess up the sound of the phono stage.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom