Pioneer SX-950 vs SX-980

Uncle Bambi

Funky Tut
I happened to get my hands on a SX-980, and if everything goes according to plan I'll acquire a SX-950 this Friday. The SX-980 is cosmetically rough, and I haven't gotten it to the bench to test yet (I assume it has issues). The SX-950 (I'm told) is nice cosmetically, and powers up but has no sound (I'm hoping for an easy fix on that one. :))

So, what are the primary differences between the two? If you had both and were going to get rid of one, which one would you keep, and why? Is the 980 really just a re-styled 950? If one of the two easier to overhaul than the other? I'm leaning towards keeping the prettier of the two, and overhauling it for future use.

Opinions/thoughts/advice?

Last edited:
Build quality overall--the SX-xx50 series are higher quality builds than the SX-xx80 series. IIRC, all of the 80-series used the STK output packs, whereas the 50-series all used discrete output transistors.

The 980 also uses discrete components, but does have a bit more austere chassis design. The 50-Series are the tanks, whereas the 80-Series are just the armored personnel carriers. The 80-Series does include the entertaining power meters, however.

The 980 also uses discrete components, but does have a bit more austere chassis design. The 50-Series are the tanks, whereas the 80-Series are just the armored personnel carriers. The 80-Series does include the entertaining power meters, however.

Well...... that's no help. You make both of them sound desirable. :) I guess it'll come down to cosmetics and mechanical shape. I'll know more once I get my hands on the 950 and fire them up.

Just picked up the 950. Cosmetically, it is very, very nice. The 980 is tattered in comparison. When I get a chance, I'll fire up the 950 first and see what's what. The previous owner says the lights come on, but no sound. I'll look into that and report back. After I make an evaluation, one or the other is going to go to a new home so I can fix the one I decide to keep.

I have owned multiple 980s. I have had one super clean 950. My nod goes to the 980. Both were recapped and tested out. I did a side by side and the 980 just plainly performed better. The 950 was great but it made it easy to sell. The transistors do concern me on the 980 but there are a ton of 980s out there. I think it depends on what tickles your ears the best.

Just picked up the 950. Cosmetically, it is very, very nice. The 980 is tattered in comparison. When I get a chance, I'll fire up the 950 first and see what's what. The previous owner says the lights come on, but no sound. I'll look into that and report back. After I make an evaluation, one or the other is going to go to a new home so I can fix the one I decide to keep.

Check the DC offset prior to hooking speakers up. You should get a very audible "PING" from the protection circuit after 2-3 seconds of powering on. I'd also check the preamp jumpers are in place on the back.

Check the DC offset prior to hooking speakers up. You should get a very audible "PING" from the protection circuit after 2-3 seconds of powering on. I'd also check the preamp jumpers are in place on the back.

The jumpers were the first thing I checked! :) I'll put a meter on it, check the offset, and report back. I'l probably open up a troubleshooting thread on this one, because I'm most likely going to need some help.

Time to take the covers off, inspect and measure the power supply voltages using a DMM. Check each amp DC offset volatge to see if that is causing the protection issue.

Back
Top Bottom