Pioneer SX-980 Recap - Filters and Relay??

dneu201

My friend back home had a Pioneer SX-980 collecting dust in his garage with dirty pots and sticky tuner wire. I convinced him to allow me to bring it with me to Houston to recap it and get it restored/cleaned up. His Dad said he would pay whatever into good parts and labor to get it running close to new again. I have all the capacitors I need in my Mouser cart, but need some help getting recommendations on:

1. Which speaker relay on Mouser (part #)?
2. What Filter caps do you recommend that will be a perfect fit?
3. Are there any other important components needing replaced?

I already cleaned all the pots and switches and it definitely sounds a lot better than it did in his garage. The tuner wire was a simple fix.

Thanks for any input.

Filter caps I used Mouser part # 661-E36D750N183TC79M
Relay I used mouser part # 653-MY2-02-DC48
Bypass caps Mouser part # 667-ECQ-E2225KF

I had to bend the original strap and make the holes larger and crimped and soldered new ring connectors no big deal I also added bypass caps
IMG_3382.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome. Thank you. Which bypass caps did you use? I did the same thing to a Marantz 2230 with Wima's.

Just wanted to know which values you used.

I'm currently halfway through the recap on this SX-980. Filters completed, relay board, and 2 of the tone boards. I am currently working on the Power Amp board but noticed the 2200 uf capacitor has 3 posts and the capacitor I purchased only has two. Is it possible for me to use this capacitor without the third post?

Thanks.

In a cap with more than 2 posts, extra posts are usually not connected electrically (internally) and are provided for mechanical support.

The AWH-183 Power AMP(lifier) board does not have a 2200uf cap, while the AWR-156 Power Supply does
(which is why I always use the ZZZ-999 designation to identify the board)

and there is an isolated foil at where I expect one of the three posts to line up to.

OK. I finished the board with the exception of that capacitor and hadn't pulled it out yet. It's a 2200uf by 35V capacitor. I'll pull it now.

Filter caps I used Mouser part # 661-E36D750N183TC79M
Relay I used mouser part # 653-MY2-02-DC48
Bypass caps Mouser part # 667-ECQ-E2225KF

I had to bend the original strap and make the holes larger and crimped and soldered new ring connectors no big deal I also added bypass caps
View attachment 923915

Are the Bypass caps polar? I do not see any info regarding polarity in the mouser sheet and there is no marking on the ones I have?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom