Pioneer SX-980 tuning shaft help

DM_

Hi, new to the site and need some help. I have a Pioneer SX-980 and the tuning drum/shaft wants to work its way off the tuner when you dial up/down the receiver. The dial cord tension is fine, but the drum sits crooked and gets pulled out with use. Anyone else ever have this issue? Thanks

Attachments

• WIN_20190208_21_25_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190208_21_25_19_Pro.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 19
  • WIN_20190208_21_25_51_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190208_21_25_51_Pro.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 19
First and foremost, DON'T let the short stub shaft come out of the little gear on the end of the capacitor!!!

Get some THICK axle type grease, and some swabs, and work it in to both ends of that stub gear, to try to get the thing more firmly in place.

IF it comes out, you WILL sweat (and swear) getting it all back together, but then you can take a sharp point and a hammer to gently dimple the end of the stub shaft for a closer fit into the VERY SOFT GEAR!!! We're talking THOUSANDTHS of an inch!!

Read this thread carefully,, follow the links and read them too. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...er-mechanism-came-apart.789539/#post-10889995

read this too: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/tuning-cord-installation.674271/#post-8997579

Do nothing after reading, we will quiz you to be sure that your first attempt won't hurt anything. That anti-backlash gear pair can EASILY chew up that small sliding gear it meshes with.

Last edited:
Thanks MTF. I have pulled the stub out a few times just enough to see the functioning, never letting the gear come off the stub. So, if I pull the stub out just enough to expose the shaft opening on the capacitor and lube it all up with some "sticky grease" you think that might do it? Truly, the alternative doesn't sound that appealing although I can see peening the stub shaft would certainly do the trick. I thought about some kind of adhesive type solution like silicone or contact cement or something to hold the shaft in place but I didn't want make a bigger problem. Thanks for the great links!!! I've been studying on this for a while and hadn't come across those threads. Much appreciate your expertise!

These veterans speak truth.

I think I learned the word "fumbleduck" and some other creative nouns and adjectives when that first happened to me. Fortunately, prior experience with zero-backlash gearing in encoders for servo systems provided me with some basis for reassembling the thing. Unfortunately, I still got to broaden my vocabulary to the level of making half the Royal Navy turn pink.

These seem to commonly work their way loose, and with no case cover in place, could potentially just walk out the end of the frame. I'm not sure if the pinion dears were ever staked to the end of the shaft, but after 40 years it seems that none of them are any more. That can lead you to your own semantic expansion into the realm of "corkslapper" and an occasional "dog game feather-mucker" among others. It's only a frustration, since it CAN be put back together after the initial exasperation of watching it dismantle itself.

We feel your pain. I've considered LocTite 262 or bearing retainer to help this, but haven't tried it yet. I really don't want to, since I already have enough words to keep organized.

Yeah, it's on the most listened to FM station and that's where it pretty much stays. I'll ponder this more. I have a full vocabulary that doesn't need any self inflicted exercise. Thanks for your commiseration...

Back
Top Bottom