Pioneer sx 990 Rescue.

Sharpstik

Stuck in the 70's
I found this beat up Pioneer sx 990 in a on a dirty shelf at a dirty garage sale. 5 bucks took it home and when I fired it up, there was no audio. So I gave it away to a tech I know locally, Chris Ready as a favor. 2 weeks later an email pops up with the provided pictures with 107 parts replaced with an offer to buy. Well, it is now a 52 watt amp with an amazingly sensitive tuner. And it's mine. Again. I posted this for the pictures for you to see. Call it 'The Tuxedo ".

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 73
I have it's big brother the 1500TD. Identical units, the 1500TD just has a slightly higher wattage output at around 58 watts per ch. Very nice units. Great tuners and that cap coupled warmth these earlier SS units produced make these among the best of the Pioneers, especially if fully restored. Full featured units including a center channel out and pre out / main in jacks.

I had to go look up that 1500TD. Amazing what they made these two capable of . Mine even has a ceramic cart input ! And one of my tt's has a ceramic on it. I never thought I would see this one again. As much as I hate the term 'warm sounding' when speaking of solid state, this one has a hint of it. I saw the inside of it, he washed and replaced the board parts to where it appears like it came off the assembly line.

I had to go look up that 1500TD. Amazing what they made these two capable of . Mine even has a ceramic cart input ! And one of my tt's has a ceramic on it. I never thought I would see this one again. As much as I hate the term 'warm sounding' when speaking of solid state, this one has a hint of it. I saw the inside of it, he washed and replaced the board parts to where it appears like it came off the assembly line.

My 1500TD is the same way. The prior owner, I believe an electrical engineer by trade, literally stripped a couple of the boards down to bare bones, and replaced every transistor, diode, and capacitor. Best FM tuner bar none of any receiver or separate tuner I have ever heard. I never thought I would say FM could sound as good as a CD but this1500TD has got to be close. I'm sure all the caps and transistors he replaced on the FM board has much to do with that. Advertised power is 58 watts/per ch. I bet with some of the cap upgrades and larger filter caps she's probably closer to 70 watts per. I would think your refurbished 990 would be well about the advertised 28 watts per as well. Both great units and way under the radar.

The tuner. On am, I was getting other states almost an hour before sunset.
He measured 52 watts wpc when done.
I own quite a few 70's Pioneer sx models, and my 1010 and 850 ( 94 wpc) are electrical masterpieces, but this 990 was built when am/fm radio were in their music heyday. I wished I owned it then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom