Pioneer SX Bent Tuning Shaft Oddity

VintageNut

Pioneer SX-1050 Bent Tuning Shaft Oddity

Hi guys. I got another SX-1050 this week for peanuts, 100.00 delivered, previous owner said it did not work right. Been working great for me :dunno:
Anyway, he did not pack it right, and the brass tuning shaft got bent. Surprisingly, glass is OK. Anyway, I have many spare parts from my destroyed SX-1050 from last year. I figured the entire aluminum dial would be bent up around the tuning shaft since that is where the shaft is anchored with a one thin nut, and I was planning to put my spare one in with the shaft. My buddy came over yesterday to hold the tuning string while I took the bent shaft and weight assembly out. Surprise, the aluminum dial is factory fine, not bent up at all. I put the new shaft assembly in, reattached the tuning string, and it's like new. We sat there thinking how could the shaft get bent and not transfer damage to the dial? The dial is pretty thin aluminum. I'm not complaining, took me 20 minutes to do it.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to 1250. The glass was broken as well. I was able to bend the shaft and the dial face back to original without replacement. I think these things are so heavy that they get dropped. I wonder how many are sitting on a shelf somewhere with broken parts from dropping?

You know Gibson, if you were a manly man you would not drop your gear so much. Get off the computer, workout, and soon you will look like me here in this pic :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom