1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer SX-D7000 stuck push buttons

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by jeffpaletz, Nov 9, 2018 at 11:01 PM.

1. jeffpaletz

jeffpaletz AK Subscriber

I have an SX-D7000 that I haven't used in the last few years since I got an SX-1980. I also have an SX-1050 that I bought new in 1977 or so. I don't need three of these great sounding receivers so I decided to take the 7000 out, check it over to get it ready to sell. It works and sounds great except that the AM, FM and Aux buttons stick in. I tried spraying Deoxit Fader lube into the buttons after taking the front off and loosening the board they are mounted on so I can spray into the front and bottom side of the switches but they stick in. They can be pulled in and out and are just too stiff for the spring pressure to be effective at moving the switches out when another switch is pushed in. The Phono 1 and 2 switches work fine.

I'd appreciate help here from the experts as to the best way to fix this problem.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Please register to disable this ad.

2. inductor

inductor Super Member

keep operating them for a while might free them, or for fear of reprisals drown them in WD40

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 4:57 AM
  3. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

Might have to take the switches all apart to figure out why they are binding, which can be a PITA
    I assume it is a type of interlocking switch? The sliding pieces inside maybe gummed up and need a really good cleaning then re-lub?
    I am not too sure about using WD40 as the left over residue may affect operation.

4. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

I have an SX-D7000 also but have never had a problem with the buttons on mine. I'm no expert but there's no way in hell I would use WD-40 on any kind of audio equipment. Creeky door hinge on my old Belair? OK.

5. markthefixer

markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

AVOID WD40. There are a lot of different solvents in it, so metal to metal is it's forte. Plastics and other materials... too risky.

It's GREAT for cleaning stuff, but you can't leave ANY behind - and with the fact that plastic will ABSORB it's solvents will come back to haunt you.

Hit the mounting rail (switches to board) with faderlube to clean and lubricate. Sounds like some old grease petrified. I had that happen gradually with the grease in the 3 stereo level controls of my original CF-F9191 cassette deck. Trying to get left and right channels apart from their common setting was a bear.

6. inductor

inductor Super Member

told you,
    ive been using it for 20yr with no problem

Please register to disable this ad.

7. jeffpaletz

jeffpaletz AK Subscriber

Faderlube freed up all but the Aux switch. Any thoughts about spraying some silicone lubricant into it?

8. markthefixer

markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

try faderlube from both ends...
    and the sideways bar from both sides.