Pioneer SX Replacement Case?

IBSO52

Does the Pioneer SX series value go down if it has a replacement case?

I currently have an 880 and the case is in fairly good shape. I'm looking into making a case made from real wood but i don't want to hurt the value of the unit.

Any advice or information would be helpful. Thanks

Attachments

• PioneerSXCase.jpg
    PioneerSXCase.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 35
Make the case you want and save the original.
If you ever decide to sell offer it with the original case and sell
your DIY separately.

If the case is in good shape, why would you want to make a replacement? I can see that if it was trashed

@dzkfraser fraser, the top corner is losing some of the veneer, other than that it is in great shape. The only reason I was thinking about changing it was because the case is cheap wood and veneer. I think it would pop more with a nice wooden case made of walnut or another exotic wood.

@dzkfraser fraser, the top corner is losing some of the veneer, other than that it is in great shape. The only reason I was thinking about changing it was because the case is cheap wood and veneer. I think it would pop more with a nice wooden case made of walnut or another exotic wood.

OK, I don't know if the value would drop if you made one of solid wood, I have replaced end caps on speakers and an Optonica amp I have with real wood, walnut, jatoba, I think if you did a good job it would increase the value. The only issue would be sourcing a grill without sacrificing the old case, You could probably make one from metal mesh, but it probably wouldn't be as nice as the original

You could always look for a parts unit that has a decent grill but otherwise trashed cabinet. Someone here may even have one. I'd try to keep the original intact since it looks that good, if nothing else because someone out there will need one at some point.

The original veneer looks to be walnut.

I believe that the original case on the SX-880 is sticker-wood covered, not veneered. You can probably peel off the old with a heat-gun and putty knife, ... if you can make it smooth enough then you can buy a new sticker (any surface flaws will read through the new sticker), otherwise moving up to covering it with real wood veneer would likely help its value.

Back
Top Bottom