Pioneer SX Series Dreaded Wire Wraps

VintageNut

I broke a couple of those dreaded wire wraps on the tone control board. Is there any problem just soldering these wires onto the boards? I can't imagine there would be, but maybe there is a reason they did not solder them to begin with.

SOLDER AWAY. Wraps for mfrng purposes only. You could pull the old post and put a stiff wire in its place and solder to it. Or just clean the hole and put the wire thru and solder. whatever flips your sw.

Thanks dude. These have the 1/2 inch or so metal post with a inch of stripped wire wraped around it a million times. it seams a million times when you unwrap the things. And being aluminum wire, they break easy. I guess they had a machine that wrapped the wire in a second onto the post. Probably get a better connection soldering anyway.

a machine possibly but more likly a handheld wirewrap tool, motor driven. Think of all those Japanese girls on the assembly line wireing those boards who made it difficult for us 40 yrs later to work on these monsters. But they sure did good work.

Japanese girls..... Hmmmm... Wow, a whole new fantasy of cute Japanese girls AND a vintage Pioneer receiver. Wow, it doesn't get better than that,

VintageNut said:
Japanese girls..... Hmmmm... Wow, a whole new fantasy of cute Japanese girls AND a vintage Pioneer receiver. Wow, it doesn't get better than that,

Amen to that brother! There's my laugh for the day...

I forgot to ask, is it really necessary to strip off over an inch of wire?, that's apparently what the factory wraps on the post. I figure with soldering I can use a lot less wire on the post. When I broke one wire, I could not get another inch stripped anyway, and I really don't want to put a new wire in there, unless I really have to.

just enough to solder to the post. you could solder a wire length to the post and splice it to the existing wire and heat shrink tube it to insulate.

Back
Top Bottom