Pioneer sx1010 troubles

I did not change those two caps because dijkey had none so I ordered other replament caps and they sent me .22 uf 250 VDC was not sure if these were safe to use so I waited till I could figure it out I'm going to solder it all down tomorrow and I was thinking the same thing about that amp board it was great before I did the protection board

There the protection board is good and I fixed the left amp.q6 on the amp board came loose causing the amp to rail the DC balance is now 0mv. I'm sure there will be more I have transistors to change on the power supply (these were not changed by the previous owner)

Take your time.
Your picking up and learning lessons. Unfortunately the 1010 is giving the lesson's. Its really an advanced unit for a beginner.
One of the biggest lessons to learn is how to get in to and work the set. learning to not damage the hardware, as in components, boards and wirewraps. How the units come apart and the best way to access the need work.
The new 2383's on the PS are ECB. When mounted they will have the center leg (Collector "C") located forward to the face of the transistor.
This is a heads up only. Always know the leg placement and make sure your right.
I've said this many times. "I spend more time checking my work than actually doing it". It saves time and money ahead.

Last edited:
I actually had the legs right on the protection board I just had the q6 at the wrong end I was working with it on the side and I got the ends mixed up. And dam straight that 1010 is taking me to school. I've done little units in the past but mostly just changing caps this is the first time I've ever done diodes, transistors, relays ( I have the new one just haven't replaced it yet) the difference I'm hearing in the sound is unbelievable each board I do.

I'm back yes been a while well I changed out all the transistors on the power supply and replaced caps took my time double and triple checked leg placement cap part numbers put it on the dbt and 1,2,3 nothing gosh darn again. So I stopped and thought didn't bother posting about it I already knew what zebulon1 would tell me to do go back and check your placements and take your time. So I went back through all leg placements were correct. Check my work all look good so I pulled out my dmm and measured all the pins voltage and bingo pin 11 was at 11v half of what it should be started there and tested continuety found a solder joint not right reflowed it and but it back on the dbt and 1,2,3 click another lesson learned by the mighty 1010

Now here's where it gets weird I took it off the dim bulb tester and q5 blew so I replaced it checked all my connections then q6 blew pin 11 now reads -55

Its been a while but racked my brain a while on this replaced wz320 turned on the receiver loud pop a little smoke q5,q6 blew on the the dbt got frustrated but the sx1010 away. So last night I pulled it out and started testing everything price by peice replaced q5,q6 again for the third time powered on and we'll samething checked everything again but this time even checked resistor values r11,r12,r20,r21 were wrong r11,12,21 were 10kohm and not 10ohm dijjikey sent me the wrong resistors double checked my order and I did order the right ones another lesson learnt by the sx1010 don't take nothing for granted DOUBLE CHECK everything humans pack this stuff.

Yes, I've learned from similar experience to measure everything that comes out, measure everything that goes in, double- or tripple-check values against the schematic (but recognize that the schematic can be wrong against production variations); and when measuring resistors, watch out for that little "k" on your multimeter read-out, knowing when it should & shouldn't be there!

I salute your persistence, oscar23. Keep after it, you'll get it going.

On a side note dijjikey did come good with the mistake and replaced the parts that kept blowing because of it witch is really good because I ordered them over a month ago

A good lesson for all of us.
Another good reason to learn the color codes. Something I should take the time to do.
I'm working on a Carver HR-772 with a channel issue. Knowing the codes would of helped me find the problem in short order.

I don't know the codes perfect but I use an app on my phone a bit of a pain in the ass but worth the extra 5 seconds I have an optomica sa5151 has fuse resistors schematic says 1 ohm measured when testing measureed 5 ohm thought maybe it drifted out of spec checked the color codes and they are indeed 5 ohm

Back again no I have not given up on this thing. Replaced the bad resistors in the power supply ( the wrong ones were recieved from dijjikey) anyways pulled all the fuses out and powered it on now here's a weird one when I powered it on the dbt pulsed like a heartbeat it would go bright and then dim then bright then dim. I'm still working on the power supply. I've changed all caps and transistors and both wz320 diodes all replacements have been according to mtf suggestions. What would cause the pulsing

Did you replace the large filter caps?
I'm tinkering in the garage all day and will check in often.

So the fuses in the PS are removed and it pulses?
Sorry for the delay, got busy with a friend and his TT. Then started a BS session.

Back
Top Bottom