Pioneer SX1980 - you wont believe this.

Repair it electrically, clean the broken bits off, replace the glass and any missing knobs etc. and run it like it is. You could call it the "Rat Rod Receiver", it would be one of a kind and still be worth more than the average receiver.

But there was another dial plate and gauges for the sx1980 on ebay at $148 so I got it. I tried cleaning the paint off mine and as soon as I touched the am/fm freq markings with a lightly soaped cloth they rubbed off so there was no way the paint would come off without major damage.

I wouldn't have spent any money on cosmetics until you confirmed everything electrically working / restored it, but that's just me. If you're committed to doing a full restoration I guess it really doesn't matter where you start.

Some good news- after reading some other posts, the faceplate lettering is etched and black paint can be re-applied into the letters and it will look like new so I stripped off all the black paint. The panel is not too bad - some scratches to be sure but it'll come up OK. The top edge is pretty bad but there are posts on how to sand this back and apply a clear coat. My one remaining concern is the panel with the row of push buttons which looks to be screen printed. My idea here is to strip it back to metal (letters and all) and get a custom clear decal made (water slide perhaps) that will have all the lettering printed on it.20190209_183416.jpg 20190209_183431.jpg

I think your doing a great job. Look forward to watching you sand the top and see how that turns out.
:lurk:

Your Pioneer could seriously challenge the Marantz that went through a house fire and was used in the classic ad:

image.php

Remarkably clean on the inside, looks like a good start for a restoration. Wood case is an easy fix, and looks like you have a solution for the faceplate already. I'll be following along for sure.

I think this is a very interesting story..........
A lot of work to restore it but at least you have the financial headroom to put some money into it.
You are fortunate it is a very worthy model.
If it was a lesser model such as a SX-980, you might be hesitant right?

Waiting to see how that face plate comes out.
Please keep us updated!

Great catch OP.
I will be following your progress.

Maybe someone should start audiokarma fundraiser to get this monster back to working order.

Maybe its just me but I wouldn't use a working receiver for a spraypaint backstop. My guess is DOA. That doesn't mean it's not repairable.

That looks like a very ambitious undertaking.
I would have put it in the leaverite category.

Back
Top Bottom