Pioneer SX535 and SX434

I have a 636, a close cousin.
In general I think Pioneer fans hold the X3X series in high esteem.
The low and low-midrange models Pioneers receivers in good repair are often very nice sounding.

The SX-434 (15WPC) is the Baby of the x3x series, which consists of theSX-434, SX-535 (20WPC). SX-636 (25WPC), SX-737 (35WPC), SX-838 (50WPC), SX-939 (70WPC) and the SX-1010 (100WPC). The 434 might be the baby of the series, But don't count it out. PIONEER CONSERVATIVELY rated them when they went for the FTC rating Test. So they'll all put out a little more. MY 434,which I've had since 1975, when in the Navy, puts out 17-18W into 8ohms 20-20000Hz @ 0.7%THD. Which is better than the spec. Obviously you don't want to use inefficient speakers with it. And it's better for small rooms. Near Field (computer desk with Minimus 7's) it's an outstanding unit. If I use mine with New LARGE ADVENTS(90db?) it runs out of steam fairly quick. But if I use my Sansui SP-2500's (98db) I can put the volume @ about 10 oclock and rattle dishes in the china cabinet in the next room. Same goes for the 535 and 636. The higher the efficiency the speakers are, the less power needed to get to a certain SPL. The 939 isn't well known as the 1010 overshadows it. For all intents and purposes it's a 1010 with a lower rated amp board. You can probably pick one up cheap compared to a 1010 or a 737. If you can find a 939 for under 2 Franklins, do it. I like mine better than the 1010 I had. But my favorite is the SX-737. It's got 1/2 the wattage of the 939 but the only thing it gives up is # of inputs and wattage. The 737 is very popular in that series and the prices show it. the 838 is another under the radar unit.

Even tho the 434 has outputs for 2 pair of speakers, I wouldn't advise using both at the same time unless it's been gone thru and reconditioned (replace caps, select problematic transistors and some resistors) in all areas, and then only 8ohm speakers on both A & B and don't crank on the volume. The power supplies on the x3x's can be trouble prone, so best to rebuild it. It's a pretty easy unit to recondition, plus the parts don't cost much. I did mine about 5 years ago and IIRC it was under $30.00 including shipping. Might be a little more today but not by much.

As it's on the lower end, it doesn't have a protection board. Speakers are fused which are in the little box on the back. Make absolutely sure the fuses are correct for it. (3A 125V/250V fast blo. I'd use a 250V 3A fast blo as the wall voltages today are higher than they were back in 1974 when the 434 came out.) Home Depot has the fuses so you don't have to shop online for them. Also make sure the fuses internally are correct and don't have Reynolds wrap condoms on them (wrapped in alum foil).

Inputs are limited to 1 Ea.....Phono (magnetic), Aux (cassette, cd player, (I-whatever from Apple)tv, dvd player), and TAPE MONITOR for a 3 head cassette deck or Reel to Reel (NOTE: Aux, and Tape Monitor are both line level inputs so are basically interchangeable). I've used a 3 source switch unit for the Aux or Tape Monitor and connected 2 R2R, and an equalizer or 1 R2R, 1 cassette, and Equalizer, with 1 or 2 more R2R on the tape loop(s) for the EQ. As you go up the line, you get more bells and whistles. The tuners (provided someone didn't get in there and started twiddling or fiddling with the coils and trimmers)are generally very good. None of my x3x series receivers need more than a dental pick on the antenna connection to pick up stations 40-60 miles away and get a clean stereo signal. A standard "T" Dipole antenna will pick up a lot of stations. You should be able to pick up NYC stations with little problem.

If you get a chance to get one, go for it. They are good units and will, when reconditioned, give you many years of:music: enjoyment.

Listen to Dean Larry. I have every one he mentioned except for the 838. Don't stress them out, and you should be ok. But as with all old electronic units there may be hidden issues that you will not notice or hear until later. When they need to be stabilized , you get them updated. No more surprises.

I’ve got a 434 too. Just had it running with a pioneer turntable and Heresy II’s that make up the system in my study. Very nice sounding, great mate for the Hersey’s.

I have the baby sx 434 and the top sx 1010 of this x3x pioneer series.
I think these pioneer models are excellent.
The sx 434 is very good, though the 15 WPC. Mine is waiting for an internal restore (recap, transistors ...)
The pioneer sx 1010 is fantastic. A monster with high quality sound.
There are many opinions here on the audiokarma about the warm sound of sx 737 ... one day i will found one to buy ...
In my opinion, any of these pioneer models are excellent purchases. I would just look at the originality, external state of the front panel and the wood case. Still original output transistors may also be important.
Indispensable is replace all electrolytic capacitors, and some known worst little transistors.
Regards from Brazil.

Yes you can't go wrong with the X3X series, they are terrific as stated above, great blend of warm sound and detail IMHO. Pioneer actually made an SX-300 that was the smallest of this series at a whopping 7wpc.

Back
Top Bottom