Pioneer sx750 "feedback" sound

Jbmorrey

so this evening, I was listening to a brand new LP Miles Davis Kind of Blue and there were some times where at the end of a note, I would hear a slight feedback type of sound, almost like a high pitched crackle, very brief and only on about 4-5 times throughout the one side. I have 2 sets of speakers setup so I initially thought it might be one or the other, but after listening to each pair they both had the same thing happen, so i am guessing it's the sx750. Is this a sign that service needs to be done to it? I have never had anything done to the 750 since I purchased it new, the only issue I have had in the past is a little static in the power selector, I just have not gone through the trouble of detoxing it. Any thoughts? Sorry I could not explain the sound better but that the best I can describe it.

Thanks,
James

Update.... well I remembered an old Technics SU-V4 that I had in my garage, dusted it off and hooked it up real quick, played the same song and still had the sound happen, could I be looking at a bad wire going from my turntable to the amp? Usually only makes the noise on really high pitched sounds so initially I thought tweeter, but doesn't make sense on both sets of speakers, guess I can pull out my AR 4x and test it out as well, but still trying to narrow this down. First time I heard this sound though, so maybe the record? I purchased it new off of Amazon?

Thanks,
James

makes the noise on really high pitched sounds

FWIW, the description made my personal intuition say "stylus losing contact with grooves". You might want to clean the stylus and then try bumping up the tracking pressure a bit to see if that helps.

(Oh, and you probably know, but there's a Turntables forum where you might get additional ideas.)

Cheers,

chazix

so is it more "crackling" or a "feedback" sound? If the latter - you may want to look at how close your TT is situated compared to your amp and speakers.

so is it more "crackling" or a "feedback" sound? If the latter - you may want to look at how close your TT is situated compared to your amp and speakers.

I would say crackling sound, strange thing is I have since listened to about 5 other albums and have not heard the same sound, could it possibly be a bad pressing of the record? Bought it from Amazon, I could return it and ask for a replacement record.

James

I would say crackling sound, strange thing is I have since listened to about 5 other albums and have not heard the same sound, could it possibly be a bad pressing of the record? Bought it from Amazon, I could return it and ask for a replacement record.

Yea it could be - if you only hear it when a certain record is actually playing.....

Back
Top Bottom