Pioneer SX950 vs. Sony STR V4- Any Thoughts?

IraGress

I've had the Sony for a while now, and I'm about ready to upgrade to the Pioneer I've wanted since I was 12yrs old.
Then it suddenly dawned on me- My Sony sounds pretty sweet (If you're not familiar with these, you'll probably underestimate it).
What if the Pioneer is a step down?
Thought I'd better consult the gurus (That's you.).
Thanks952299-vintage-pioneer-sx950-stereo-receiver-85-watts-channel.jpg s-l400.jpg

I have owned both receivers and can say the Sony is a great sounding unit. I will also say the 950 is certainly no step down. In fact I will go as far as to say it will move your Sony to shelf duty. The Pioneer is awesome.

I have owned both receivers and can say the Sony is a great sounding unit. I will also say the 950 is certainly no step down. In fact I will go as far as to say it will move your Sony to shelf duty. The Pioneer is awesome.
Nice. :beatnik:

Pio have the power advantage 85 to 50 but the Sony is well liked by some that don't have the have the biggest units. Some dis the V4 for not having the power of the V5,6,7 but those that like it mention it is discrete components, not power packs. If you need the power you will like the Pio. If you don't need the power, the receiver can be selected on what sounds better to you.

I have them both and in my opinion the 950 could never be a step down from the V4. Don't get me wrong though the Sony at 12:00 on the volume pot into a set of Cerwin Vega VS-100's is a real face melter - more than enough power (for me). It's not just loud and clear it's_:yikes:. Even if you do get the Pioneer I suggest keeping the Sony as one hell of a back up.

I have them both and in my opinion the 950 could never be a step down from the V4. Don't get me wrong though the Sony at 12:00 on the volume pot into a set of Cerwin Vega VS-100's is a real face melter - more than enough power (for me). It's not just loud and clear it's_:yikes:. Even if you do get the Pioneer I suggest keeping the Sony as one hell of a back up.
You have them both? What are the odds??:idea:
And yeah, the plan was to sell the V4 to raise $ for the 950, but I pulled it outta the closet & hooked it up last night.
I forgot how delicious that bad boy is.
You can feel the bass in the floor even at very low volume. *sploosh*
They're gonna have to pry that Sony outta my cold dead hands. :smoke:

just picked up the v4 and have a question about the speaker wire connection hole it is really small . what gauge speaker wire are you owner's using?

Really Ira the difference will all depend on what's been done to either unit (recap or original). I have a 950 and can attest the phono stage is fantastic while it has power to spare! Parts are easy to find and it's not a bad looker (the Sony is gorgeous also).

just picked up the v4 and have a question about the speaker wire connection hole it is really small . what gauge speaker wire are you owner's using?
I have a STR 5800SD and I use 16 awg. That size is perfectly fine for anything under 20 foot runs.

26991776_1782491938437412_6500646986552405323_n.jpg

I don't have those. What I do have is a Sony STR-6065 and Pioneer SX-780. Close enough for a recommendation. And that is.
They're both excellent, getting harder to come buy, and more expensive. Keep both until a better of each shows up. They make the short list.
I like my Pioneer better than my Sony.

Step up to the STR-V5. It is almost the same as the TOTL V7 except for watts. They sound the same. The V5's 85 wpc are more than enough. The best news is that the V5 is under appreciated for being third in the line so they are relatively inexpensive.
'

IMCO (in my crappy opinion), the Pioneer completely smokes the Sony, which in itself is a very decent piece. Sound better, more power, easier to work on.

Back
Top Bottom