Pioneer TX-9500II Problem - No Reception. Please Help!

jchrist

I seem to be having a problem with my TX-9500II. I took it out of storage to use it this evening and I cannot get a lick of reception. No noise, static, reception...Nothing. I have a basic "T" type, indoor antenna hooked up to the 300 ohm terminals.The muting circuit is off. No needle movement or stereo indicator light what-so-ever. No AM band, either. I tried my Phase Linear 5000 and that seems to work just fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong? Thank you for your help!

Edit: after about an hour of leaving the unit powered on, the unit just came to life when I wasn't expecting it. Scared the hell out of me. Glad it is kind of working now...Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

Last edited:
Look at the common stages: power supply and audio outputs which are shared by AM and FM. Since there is no needle movement, it is most likely the power supply.

Probably looking at dried out and failing caps. Leaving on eventually reached their full charge. A sure sign that a recap will be needed in the future.

Had a similar experience about 5 yrs ago when I took my TX-8500 II out of the closet and tried to use. Not as severe as your tuner, It required a few listening session to fully come back to life. It is still going five yrs later and sounds as good as it ever did.

Back
Top Bottom