Pioneer VSA-9500, an interesting Pioneer component.

jlindsey86

A little back story. A while ago I decided to ditch my 5.2 surround sound setup. It was nice but it just never gave me that ear to ear grin I would get when listening to my ADS L1230's, so back to two channel it was. The biggest problem I ran into was finding a receiver that excelled at two channel but would also let me switch video signals.

To meet this need I decided to look at "vintage" pro logic processors and I was going to pair it up with some decent power amps. To my dismay, I couldn't find a processor that fit all my requirements. Either it wouldn't have enough video inputs, lack a phono input, etc...This drove me to look for an older, quality, pro-logic receiver. I am a Pioneer nut and decided to seek out a nice VSX-D1S or VSX-9900S. They lacked any sort of digital inputs but would do everything else I need.

While I was looking for one of these receivers I stumbled across some Pioneer Pro-Logic amplifiers. Not add on amps, but full on integrated amps with a wide array of inputs. The few models that were released in North America looked intriguing but didn't offer any advantages over the VSX-D1S receiver. After doing a bit more research I stumbled across a post here on AK regarding the Pioneer VSA-9500 A/V Digital Surround Amplifier: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-vsa-9500-why-no-info.768555/

In the post was a link that took me to a database of, what appears to be, Pioneer components that were only released in Japan. Here is the link: http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/amp/index3.html

There doesn't seem to be ANY info out there on the VSA-9500 but listed in the link above is model VSA-950D which appears to be exactly the same as the 9500. The inputs, layout, construction, everything matches up. After looking over the photo's I decided I had to have this strange unit. I contacted the owner that posted about this unit and was able to purchase it from him. After receiving it today I am sure glad I did. This thing is a beast!

If anyone knows what country this was released in originally I would be interested in knowing. Any more info such as remote model # or manual scans would be greatly appreciated. For now here are some pictures.

20171106_181610.jpg

20171106_181638.jpg

20171106_182140.jpg

20171106_182027.jpg

20171106_181753.jpg

Last edited:
It is in my June 1991 Australian general catalogue. 17.5kg 95+95w@8ohms. It existed alongside the VSX-D1S which we sold a number of. Don't remember ever selling the VSA-9500. The amp stage is basically like an A-676 with two paralleled transformers, a centre discrete amp and two rear channel amps- they are not dual mono.

Models below it were the VS-7500 and VSA-5500.

Let me know if you want a scan.

Last edited:
Here you go:

For remotes, just pick up a 2nd hand CU-AV200 or CU-AV100 Pioneer remote- it'll do everything pretty much and is SR compatible. Here's a ratty one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pioneer-Audio-Video-Programmable-Remote-Control-Unit-CU-AV100/192298630332?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=48792&meid=c3fb53d363e6421195b9a47e3e398ebf&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=192352492519&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 (no afil)

and a nice one of the TOTL remote (we sold that remote for $249 back in the day)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PIONEER...727585&hash=item2826769ce4:g:HmAAAOSwCEdYUDpJ (again, no afil)

scan145.jpg

scan147.jpg

This is pic of the original remote scanned from the brochure and blown up- can't read the model no looks like CU-VSxx3 or something.
scan146.jpg

The VSA-7500 and VSA-9500 appear to use the same remote (they appear identical in my brochure) and the service manual for the VSA-7500 lists the remote as this:

remote.JPG

remote01.JPG

There you go, all your mysteries solved.

Last edited:
Wow! I wasn't expecting to have all my curiosities about this amp addressed so quickly. Thanks for all the info John!

It is a cool unit for sure. It's interesting that the VSX-D1S is rated approx 40 more watts per channel in stereo mode but doesn't have the build quality as this unit. I wonder how they would compare side by side? Do you know if there was a Dolby Pro-Logic Amp above this one or was the 9500 top of the line?

It was the TOTL surround amplifier, the VSX-D1S was the TOTL receiver. Your amplifier is a better 2 ch amp than the D1S without a doubt.

The D1S was very pretty and flashy, but it was outperformed by Yamaha's RXV-850 and DSP-A1000 at the time (we had them in separate listening rooms). Anyone who heard both, quickly became a Yamaha buyer.

As yours has the 20bit DLC (delta sigma D/A) and digital inputs, there was no need to have anything above it for surround and 2ch. If you wanted better 2 channel you bought an A-777 or saved up for an A-91D.

With Pioneer numbers (and I believe it is a Japanese thing), the Nine (9) is the top, seven (7) higher up/aspirational and five (5) being elevated and three (3) being good. Sony use that numbering system too.

It was a fabulous year ('91) actually, Pioneer still had the (off range but still available) A-91D integrated (29.9kg- their heaviest amplifier ever!) at AU$2699, the D1S was TOTL surround receiver and the 2 channel range was excellent. We still had the Reference gear (which became known as Elite in the US later), with M90/C90s/F93/CT93 etc. CD players were still (old stock) PD-91 Reference and the PD-75 stable platter. Speakers were utter crap sadly, and TTs were plastic hangovers from systems.

Send me a PM with an email address and I will scan the pages that may interest you- the limit for AK attachments is only 1MB. :)

Just looked up the RRPs and dealer costs on the VSX-D1S and VSA-9500. (yes, I still have those pricelists...)

Same RRPs, $2499 each, cost inc tax was $1749 and $1664 respectively. (remember AU dollars)

My recollection on the remote CU-AV200 was wrong, or we charged too much, it was $159 RRP.

At the time, the most expensive item was the A-91D at $2699, apart from the horrible S-77TSD TAD designed speakers which should have never seen the light of day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom