Pioneer VSX-453 left channel has static

tippyd

New here and wondering if anyone has run into similar problem with their receiver. I bought this receiver new back in the 1990's from service merchandise. I know its not the speakers since I switched the speaker cables on the back of the receiver and the static traveled to the right channel. Even if I turn the volume off I can hear the static. I tried switching the input to cd and tape and its still there. Just wondering if anyone has a fix for this?

you must be near pittsburgh...service merch in the miracle mile?

anyways, static regardless of input selection, i.e. radio, cd etc?

I bought in Massachusetts. Yes the static is there regardless of input. I took cover off and cleaned with electric cleaner then used Deoxit on the pots. Never did any electrical troubleshooting, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this problem on similar type receiver?

I had refurbed one of these a few years back and I got another one that was all blowed up and scrapped it...so both flavors.

if you put it in surround mode does the rear speakers on the same side do it? they use different amps, but Im curious if the problem is in the input source somewhere lower. the amp is fixable, BUT, you can generally find these in good refurbed condition 40-80 bucks. there is nothing intrinsically wrong with them but they are not highly valued and tend to be forgotten

Actually i'm running the speakers on the rear channel now and clicked on the surround sound button a couple times to get the speakers to sound. I was just wondering if there were any post or how to with pics of someone troubleshooting one of these. I'm thinking of getting a tube amp so I don't know what I'll do with this. Be nice to be able to fix it.

wellll, there is a service manual on hifi-E, but its bizzare, they scanned it in all bass-acwards, like turning it over would show the back sides of the board - dunno.

if you have ample experience, the main power amps are fairly straight forward.

if you dont and you are gonna have to pay someone, the economics come into play as mentioned before. cheapest solution, if you have the parts in stock and hence no shipping, after you clean the volume and any fadery (doesnt this have a balance? I forget) anyways, is to replace the 2SC992 input devices with modern KSC992 devices and see if it goes away. if not, we gotta dig in a little deeper. but again, experience? economics?

I will look at myself I like to fix things but have never done anything dealing with electronics. I got some free service manual online maybe thats the one you referenced, look likes it was scanned and uploaded. The 2SC992 input devices with modern KSC992 devices assume these are transistors.

I'm not very good a reading schematics but it looks like your referring to the Q501 and Q503 on the left channel page 31 both transistors are listed as 2SA992. Thus I should just remove the two 2SA992 on the left channel and replace with KSA992?

new at this

where you at? be cheaper for us just to give you some...mouser shipping I think is around $7 min

you are doing both sides? you need 4 992's right?
I already have about 50 matches worked up

Quad. Mouser has an economy shipping @ $4.99 which means UPS or Fedex picks it up, and ships it to the post office distribution point closest to you, then the mailman delivers it. Takes about 5-7 days to get to B'more via N.J. or Chicago (why the hell?), but I'll pay for Fedex ground @ $7.99. Gets here in 3 days usually.

you really need more as you want to match them up, I prefer <1%, i.e. if one has an hfe of 400, the other should be min 396, max 404. typically I buy these in lots of 50/100 (last buy was 1000) so I can get them exact or +/- 1 apart

Well finally got around to changing the transistors think I really buggered it up with my novice soldering skills. Tried turning it on and powered up heard 3 or 4 clicks and no sound. Shut off and turned on still no sound. Everything works but nothing out of the speakers. Tested dc offset on terminals nothing. Think this may go to the recycle bin.

Sounds like one or more were installed wrong. 5 ways to bugger it up and 1 way correct. Download the Datasheet for the pinout on the KSA992. Then spend some time reading this thread ( http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/bipolar-junction-transistor-testing-basics.43186/ ) on identifying pinouts and testing transistors. Pin out is configured E-B-C on the KSA992. This is with the FLAT side facing you, LEGS pointing DOWN. Good possibility the 2sc992 is different. The PIONEER boards are generally marked with diagrams for each of the transistor legs.

Actually I bought the KSA992 and matched up the hfe for the pair. First time soldering. I'm amazed how small the pins are on these things I need a magnifying glass to see them probably bridged the pins. Don't know if I removed the driver board correctly I punched thru the arrow tabs on the pcb to remove the screws to the output transistors, then removed the pcb from the heat sink. No way to access the pin side of board without removing all of output transistors. Anyway might try taking everything apart again and resolder. I'll check out that thread, thanks

Back
Top Bottom