1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer VSX-521 Has No Sound

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by dvdan1, Jun 29, 2018.

1. dvdan1

dvdan1 New Member

I just purchased the receiver from Goodwill. It powers on and all the buttons and dials seem to be operational based on the graphic display. I have a cd player hooked up and my Athena speakers/subs connected to the Front L/R speaker posts. There is no sound from the CD player or the tuner. The speaker button is not turned off. I tried a factory reset procedure to no avail, the only thing that did was reset it to the demo mode - aargh. I should say that I don't have the remote for this unit, which may make it impossible to access many menu features. I really only want to use the receiver for playing music. I don't believe it's in protect mode because I do hear the amp click on after startup. Any input is appreciated.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bassblaster

Bassblaster Super Member

I dont know much about the newer line of AV receivers, but does it have speaker fuses? that would be a first thing to check.

3. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

Having been inside the VSX-1000, which may be from the same era, I can say that, regardless of what you need to work on, getting inside one of those was pure hell. Mine had 5 layers of cards that were all were interconnected with flat multi-wire connections. It may turn out that replace rather than repair may be a better option.

4. john stumpf

john stumpf AK Subscriber Subscriber

not designed for human intervention, in japan they go to the gomi pile.

5. White_wolf

White_wolf Active Member

Pictures would be good, they made two different vsx-521 models.

6. dvdan1

dvdan1 New Member

Sorry for the late reply. I opened it up and didn't see any speaker fuses.

7. dvdan1

dvdan1 New Member

I don't know what a gomi pile is, but that doesn't sound good. Picked it up at Goodwill for cheap, so I'm hoping I can get it to work.

8. dvdan1

dvdan1 New Member

Again, sorry for the late reply - busy at work. Ugh. Anyway, here's a pic of it.

IMG_1182.JPG

9. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Check all processor loop button switches, be certain it is not in "Dolby" whatever.

10. dvdan1

dvdan1 New Member

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you're referring to by "loop button switches." Can you clarify for me? I think I have an idea after doing some internet searches, but I'm still a little unclear.

11. Pio1980

Best to find the manual online for reference for normal operation.

12. White_wolf

White_wolf Active Member

Pio1980 likes this.
  13. Pio1980

Iirc, there is a portion in this series associated with the Dolby EQ that fails, it is no longer available. I do not know if it totally disables normal operation. There are other selector switch that will prevent sound if improperly set.

14. dvdan1

dvdan1 New Member

Yes, I had already downloaded the manual for the unit. There's nothing in the trouble shooting section that's helped solve the problem. There is one possibility - That the mute function is active. Unfortunately, there is not a mute indicator on the face of the receiver, and the only way to turn it on or off is with the unit's remote control, which I don't have. I'm tempted to buy one off eBay online, but I hate to throw more money at it if it doesn't solve the problem.

Pio1980 likes this.
  15. dvdan1

dvdan1 New Member