Pioneer VSX-920 shutting off after 1 minute

Dannyx

Good day folks. Last time I needed some help with an amplifier, people here were very nice and keen to help, so in hopes you can help me once again, here goes: I have this Pioneer VSX-920 receiver which shuts off after about 1 minute after startup. The display comes on, everything works, but the set turns off after said time. I must admit I haven't knocked the cover off to have a look inside and take any measurements, so for now the discussion is going to be rather generic about what could actually cause this. Failed output transistor ? Bad capacitor ? Bad main board (this was my colleagues' suggestion, after encountering a similar unit in the past) ? I've linked the service manual here, since it's too big to upload, but haven't opened the unit yet like I said. Any thoughts from people more vexed in the field of audio amps would be greatly appreciated (I'm more of a TV guy and only know some basics about amps)...perhaps someone knows this to be a common fault with Pioneers or something. Cheers and thanks.

Key detail: I am unable to perform a reset by holding down the "band" button along with the power button - nothing happens. According to the manual, it's supposed to power on and display "Reset?" but it doesn't. Same goes for other button combinations I've come across on the internet, like the ones to display the error codes or force a startup. They don't work either, so it could be a "logic" side issue rather than a "power" side issue.

EDIT (day 2): I popped the cover off and for no reason at all, I unplugged a ribbon cable going between the main board and what seemed to be the amp board (the one with the transistors on it at the bottom). The unit displayed "PWR ERR" or something like that and then the "advanced MCAAC" light started blinking, even after plugging said cable back in. I did some digging and found how to reset this issue: tune "down" + Multi zone On/off and that at least got it going to where we were previously - turning off after 1 minute....just thought I'd point this out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom