Pioneer VSX-9500S

AngeloDS

I have this A/V Receiver; I was curious on a few things. It gets pretty hot, is that normal? And also how good is this receiver compared to new receivers? I'd like to also know about if it broke where would I go to get it repaired?

I'm thinking about getting a new receiver but not sure if I should or if I shouldn't.

Thanks!

Hi Angelo.

If you neep info on repairs it's a good idea to fill in your location info in the control panel area. That way people in the same area as you can offer up some advice.
Also a make and model of said HOT unit might be an idea, as I doubt we have many mind readers aboard.

Welcome and good luck in your search.

Rick

originally posted by AngeloDS I have this A/V Receiver; I was curious on a few things. It gets pretty hot, is that normal? And also how good is this receiver compared to new receivers? I'd like to also know about if it broke where would I go to get it repaired?

Yes it does run hot. Unfortunately it was designed this way from what I understand from my local vintage repair tech. There is a section almost right dab in the middle of the board where it gets hottest. The power supply section can suffer from bad solder joints caused by heat in that section also. And from what I understand getting in there is a real PITA. I took a 9500S in for a friend for repair and alot of caps, a few transistors and other parts were replaced along with some re-soldering in the power supply area.
I have one myself and when my son plays video games for a few hours that thing is very hot. So I installed a 120 volt fan behind it in my rack and powers on when the receiver comes on. It runs so much cooler now you would not believe it.
What was explained to me when I asked why PIONEER did not design it to run cooler was this; Its like an engine that you want to run at maximum performance and be fuel efficient so you regulate the temperature using various things thermostat, etc... so in order to get a certain sound it was designed this way. I have two in my home right now so I have compared them both and one has been extensively repaired.
Now it could be that yours may need some professional attention but they do run hotter than you think they should.
The VSX-9500S is a great surround receiver. I have never used it for any two channel music listening except for concert Laserdiscs but for HT and surround it really does a great job. It has more than adequate power reserve and good seperation and delay. You could find some newer receivers that would probably beat it out but it will cost you a few $$$ I think. Denon and Onkyo are making some really nice units these days but they average about $1500. I have only heard a few of them in local stores and not really enough time to totally assess them but from what I have heard they do a great job. Then again I am biased cuz I purposely wanted to stay old school 5.0 surround. I have no desire to step up to 6.1, 7.1 etc....
But if you feel you need to unload that VSX-9500S PM me and we can talk, I could always use a back up!

Last edited:
madpioneer said:
The VSX-9500S is a great surround receiver. I have never used it for any two channel music listening except for concert Laserdiscs but for HT and surround it really does a great job. It has more than adequate power reserve and good seperation and delay. You could find some newer receivers that would probably beat it out but it will cost you a few $$$ I think.

Well, yes and no, IMO. It's a great surround receiver, but it's only a Dolby Pro-Logic receiver. True, it would cost fairly big bucks to get a modern surround receiver of the same build quality. But the vast majority of Dolby Digital receivers (5.1, 6.1, etc.) made these days will sound better in surround mode on DVDs than any Pro-Logic receiver. That being said, I still wish I had VSX-9500S. :yes: :thmbsp: :D

Jeff

originally posted by Blue Meanie Well, yes and no, IMO. It's a great surround receiver, but it's only a Dolby Pro-Logic receiver. True, it would cost fairly big bucks to get a modern surround receiver of the same build quality. But the vast majority of Dolby Digital receivers (5.1, 6.1, etc.) made these days will sound better in surround mode on DVDs than any Pro-Logic receiver. That being said, I still wish I had VSX-9500S.

I could not agree with you more! My problem with the average HT receiver today(not the high end units mind you) is the build quality is a little lacking.Although I did lift a PIONEER newer unit in the store a few weeks ago and I was shocked at how heavy it was were talking about 35-40 Lbs no joke!
No the VSX-9500S is not the end all receiver but I like the build quality, the hefty weight the features and the sound. Yeah its only Pro Logic surround, but heck come to my home and almost everything I have is 70's-80's old school. I live in the past LOL
It took me years to even get to Pro Logic when it was already way out of style. I tend to be light years behind, but like it that way. :yes:

Ahh I see, so it's supposed to get hot. I was worried because now I play video games on it too and what-not; so it's been getting hot. Where did you install the fan and what does it look like?

Is the new stuff like THX and Dolby Digital 5.1 or whatever the newer technology. All gimmicks or does Dolby Pro-Logic do fine enough?

I'm thinking of getting a new receiver but not sure what to get. Looking for pretty good quality.

I think I might get this --> http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069789_310985777,00.html

Last edited:
AngeloDS said:
Is the new stuff like THX and Dolby Digital 5.1 or whatever the newer technology. All gimmicks or does Dolby Pro-Logic do fine enough?

Did you read my earlier post? Quote: "...the vast majority of Dolby Digital receivers (5.1, 6.1, etc.) made these days will sound better in surround mode on DVDs than any Pro-Logic receiver."

I wouldn't concern myself whether a certain receiver is THX certified or not. Mostly hype in my opinion. Dolby Digital and DTS are MAJOR improvements over Dolby Pro-Logic. Whether Dolby Pro-Logic will "do fine enough" is for you to decide for yourself. Personally, I'd upgrade.
The Pioneer Elite you linked to looks like a fine choice.

Jeff

I got a hefty 120 volt fan at Radio Shack a few years ago. Spliced a regular A/C cord to it and have it turn on with the receiver. It just sits atop the rear side of my Laserdisc player as the turnover unit helps extend the case father than the 9500's case. The fan is heavy enough to just sit there without movement or vibration. It draws the hot air out the back of the rack. The only downside is slight fan noise. It looks just like a fan in a computer power supply just heavier. I think they run about $40. IIRC Parts Express may carry them too. Any rack can benefit from some help drawing out the hot air. I used to use it with my SPEC-2 amp with double sided foam adhesive to secure it on the SPEC-1 pre-amp and the amp to draw the air when I use to have it installed in a more confined shelf. Now that I have an open air rack for those the fan can be used for the 9500 because it runs way hotter than the SPEC-2!

For video games pro logic is fine,no real need to upgrade for games till the next gen systems really take off. Also if your a bass head like me you may find the newer receivers lacking.

I think Donny has it in a nut shell.
Like I stated above I am biased when it comes to this stuff. Pro Logic suits my needs. For me I see no reason to go any farther with the likes of seven or eight speakers in my front room. I remember in 1986 when I bought my first stereo HiFi VCR and linked to my RS STA-2100 receiver coming from mono it opened a whole new world of VHS possibilites.
I praise the 9500 alot cuz I just think it does a great job without complaints and will run for years with little or no trouble. The front panel is aluminum and NOT plastic. It has tons of power and bass balls when you need it. It was the flagship receiver in 1986 at around $1200 new. So it was not real cheap back then. I also have a VSX-5700S running in my bedroom. They both sound very similiar but the 9500 just has more presence, power and so on.
The S stands for S-video translating into the option of
using those to hookup instead of standard RCA.
To each his own. If you want 6.1-7.1 I would suggest spending that extra $ to get a descent receiver rather than the $250 average unit. You'll be alot happier. But for us Old Schoolers if you want a ballsy power house and can live with basic Pro Logic find a cheap 9500 and enjoy!

What would be a good price on a 9500S? (I know this type of Q should be in Dollars & sense). A local seller has one for sale, but is not being very communicative. It's listed at $300, but I'm thinking closer to $75.

Too bad there's not 5.1 inputs, but I do see it has amp jumpers for each channel.

In my opinion around $100 average is a good price for a primo unit. If it comes with the remote! Not that you can't get a remote that will cover most of the functions, but if you want an original one they are rare and not easy to find. If you find one they usually run about $35 so factor that in.
If you can find a working model under say $60 and have been wanting one I'd say jump on it with or without remote!

originally posted by SamS Too bad there's not 5.1 inputs, but I do see it has amp jumpers for each channel.

Those individual jumpers come in handy. You can add an EQ for each and really get the most out of the receiver. You can tailor your center, rears or fronts indiviually rather than just overall. I use a GR-555 EQ running from one of the tape in/outs for show only, bouncing amber lights. I use a GR-777 for rear channel speakers. I think a model GR-50? for the center speaker. Try that on your average 6.1 or 7.1 amp!
I run the main front signal to my SPEC rig but thats a whole nother story.
But even running it without EQ's it does a nice job.

Interesting! Well, I'll find out soon enough if the seller bites on the $50-75 I offered. Seemed pretty firm on the asking price, but I can't imagine any takers at $300.

SamS said:
Interesting! Well, I'll find out soon enough if the seller bites on the $50-75 I offered. Seemed pretty firm on the asking price, but I can't imagine any takers at $300.

Might be worth $150-$200. The Elite units are also quite nice in appearance, compared to the regular ones. :yes:

Jeff

I believe that listing is correct. Some of the newer PIONEER models are VSX-59 and so forth. Seems they dropped the four number model numbers in favor of two and three numbers. There is also a VSX-9500TX model out there it is a newer unit.
But you need to research them a little either on sites were there are for sell or for the newest use PIONEER's own site. Just make sure you have an idea of the model before jumping in head first.

My 9300 runs hot too, cause its a class A non switching amplifier, the transistors in these 9300/9500(s) receivers are on full bore all the time, so as to not have the classic AB amp's lower FI switching or unnatural sound. cya

Back
Top Bottom