Pioneer VSX-D1S

I just picked up a d1s and have a question about repairs on it. The volume control is not working. The red light does not come on the volume knob either. After taking the case off, I can see the circuit board connected to the volume control is cracked in half. Can this be fixed? Worth it? Any suggestions on where to go from here? Everything else is working properly on the unit.

I had a similar issue with another VSX-D1S that I own. I was going to send it off to get serviced by a profession electician (specialty on older/vintage audio)...but I found another D1S on CL for cheap.. the last owner did not know what she had.

I got it contact with many running a search in your local directory (website) like YP.com, got tons of good hits. perhaps its blown capacitor.

Please Help!!! Old Post, but New Question: I just aquired a vsx-d1s from ebay in real good condition with original manual and remote. My problem with it is that I can not get any sound whatsoever outside of "direct mode" If I disable direct mode, I get no sound at all from any channel. I don't think I'm missing anything, I've tried everything I know of to no avail. This is the multi voltage version, if that makes a difference.

Another new question on this old post - has anyone find a solution to an annoying subtle hum from the preamp section as soon as the power relay kicks in and regardless of the volume level? Asides from the preamp hum, receiver works fine. I search the web and have seen many posts about hum issue with Pioneer amp, has anyone here have similar issue but was able to identify the culprit? I just hate to get rid of it. Any help is appreciate.

Regarding impedance switching, will mode 2 support two sets of 4ohm speakers running in direct mode connected to the front outputs? The fact that the manual lists specifications (in "dynamic" power) for 2ohm output leads me to believe this is possible, but I just want to make sure.

The speakers I have in mind are a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-15's (no flames!) and a pair of AR1's. These would not be hooked up in the same room, and realistically probably would not be used at the same time, since they are such drastically different speakers, but hypothetically speaking...

Hi All,

My name is Laurence. I introduce myself as this might be my first post here, although I have lurked here now and then.

I just picked the VSX-D1S up at a yard sale with a DV-563A CDP for $35. I got it as a switch box for my non-critical listening audio inputs. (I am a headphone audiophile with a very good stand alone set up.) But in checking it out, I was amazed at the sound quality from the headphone out. It is not as good as my dedicated high end headphone amp, but it is still very good. I have considered this a real find even before reading some of the good things my searches have revealed.

But the unit is very complex. I am trying to hunt down a users manual so I can figure everything out. A google search led me tho this thread. Does anyone know where I can get a users manual for this (or a manual for a similar featured product)? Also a service manual would be good in case any repairs are needed.

Thanks for any help.

Laurence

http://www.hifiengine.com/library/pioneer/vsx-d1s.shtml

Another new question on this old post - has anyone find a solution to an annoying subtle hum from the preamp section as soon as the power relay kicks in and regardless of the volume level? Asides from the preamp hum, receiver works fine. I search the web and have seen many posts about hum issue with Pioneer amp, has anyone here have similar issue but was able to identify the culprit? I just hate to get rid of it. Any help is appreciate.

You may have a blown output Capacitor. IDK if you have had it checked out..

VSX-D1S Score!

I just picked up one of these beasts at a thrift this morning. It was there yesterday with original remote and manual but I didn't know what it so I left it. I did a web search and found this thread and many owners who love the sound. I had to wait until today hoping it was still there and it was except some goober was hovering over it. He cleared out and it was mine. Luckily, the remote was still there but someone had nicked the owners manual which is a shame.

A previous poster stated this was the best Pioneer receiver he had heard and I have to agree. I have not heard all of them but I have to say it is better than my old SX-1980, SX-1250, SX-1080, SX-950, SX-939, and a few others I can't remember. The sound is clear and fast. It is a lot like the Luxman R-117 and is unlike the old Pioneer "presence" sound. While I was testing at the thrift, a fellow owner came by said he bought one new for $1,400! He runs speakers throughout his house and he is very happy. I heartily agree.

My VSX-D1S has been collecting dust for a few years now. This and a CLD-V820 are my only Pioneer gear. I never like to get rid of VSX-D1S hoping one day someone out here could point me to the right direction in repairing it. The issue is the receiver power up with a low hum on all channels and output. Asides from that, every feature/function works as factory designed. At one time, I used its FM output and connected it to one of my other preamp and the FM sensitivity was excellent even from distant radio stations. Now that I am reading this thread, I would really like to get the hum noise fixed, does anyone know which power and/or filter/coupling caps are the culprit? I worked on McIntosh tube amp as a hobby but never try any SS. Any pictures or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Aloha AC You're VSX-D1S has a bad cap on the bottom of the main board at the bottom of the unit. No bottom panel access. Board has to be removed from the unit to replace I believe it is cap C101 on the bottom.

just got a VSX-9900S off ebay today. I hooked up my speakers and it wont play unless I run it "direct"

when I switch to dolby or any of the other things I get no sound or I get screetching noise in my speakers.

I managed to get it to play music 1 time in NON Direct and it sounded great. but when switched all hell breaks loose again and I get the screetching.

there is a VSX-D1 on ebay right now that is listed as also only plays in DIRECT mode...ideas?

gentlejax, it's going to need repair. I got another VSX-D1S off ebay with the same problem. The one before it got slammed on the front left side, no sound returned it and got a refund. The latest one is like most of the rest sound only in 'Direct mode'. Got a full refund on it and got to keep it.
Just got my first one back from the shop one year & one month after putting it in for repair. I had them do a complete recap job on the entire unit. Hopefully it will last at least the next 10 to 20 years without serious problems. Soon I will put the other in for repair. Seems like every one on ebay has the same problem. I guess they last about 20 to 26 years before they go 'mute'. These later units are a pita to repair according to the tech. Basically have to gut the unit just about to repair any problem.

Hye all

Greeting from Malaysia.
Im a new member & this is my very first post.
I also owned this pioneer vsx d1s, but seem this model not popular or known here in Malaysia.
May I know where can I get replacement remote control for this unit? can I use universal remote?

You can look on ebay for the stock remote but they don't come by very often.

A good replacement would be the CU-AV200 and you do sometimes see them pop up on ebay.

I too purchased a VSX-D1s brand new back in I think 1991, it did cost about $1400, mine unfortunately had a run in with a 110 outlet thru the fm antenna and went up in smoke!! It was a great receiver I liked the way you could bypass any of the internal amps with external ones if you chose to. Also haven't seen many (if any) receivers that would allow you to adjust your video signal thru the receiver. Hook a vcr or laser disc thru it, press a button and the Pioneer brought up a split screen where you could adjust the picture on one side and compare it to the non adjusted picture on the other side!! I still have the original manual if anyone would like me to scan any parts of it, also have the remote, hell had the original box up until a year or so ago. It is a great receiver would still be using it if it was still working.
I have a VSX-D1S that i would love to be able to get a copy of the manual.would it be possible to get a copy of the entire manual? If not could you give me the section on the speaker configuration and any section that pertains to it? Thanks

Lucky me...I just snagged 1 in near mint condition(with owners manual 2 boot)for a $50 spot at a second hand shop...Being a Sansui freak I all most talked myself out of it but this thing is a spaceship...I'm still scratching my head & am so glad I got the manual to go with cause I am just totally amazed & I also got the remote with working batteries. Wow I'm still in awe........
you are lucky. im confused by some of it as well. Is there any chance of getting a copy of it? Thanks

I picked up a Fully functional super clean VSX-9700s a few months ago with working remote. Judging from what a great receiver the 9700 is I’m guessing the D1s is amazing. I was lucky to find the 9700s at a GW store for a really great price! The remote was in the “remotes for $1” box and I was even luckier to find that as well! Funny thing was they had the vsx9700s & a crappy Sony ht receiver (low end) for sale at the same time and the Sony was double the price! Lol! I think I paid $25 and the Sony was $50. Gotta love Goodwill! This 9700s was probably one of the best things I’ve gotten at GW aside from the New in Box Colecovision! & the Fisher EQ-Z1. I also found a really nice pair of Epicure Model 14’s, Boston Acoustics CR9’s, Wharfedale w35d’s & a Mint condition Philco Tube console at this same store, among many other not so nice things. I try to stop in the thrifts atleast twice a week.. never know what you might find.

This is surely a "Johnny Come Lately" response. I have four of these monsters a couple in my winter home and one in my summer home. They are awsome, the specs are very hight as everyone has said. They are work horses, pretty, and above all built like Tanks. I agree way under valued! We can talk specs all we want but the true test is the sujbective lisening test. I run JBL all day long with this workshorse and they sound absolutely awsome, with ease of power to run the dynamics ranges with ease. I have never heard a cleaner, smoother sound in seperate amps or recievers than this unit. Of course I could not afford the thousand upon thousand dollar McIntosh line, so this will do for me. 35 years of blliss!

I to own a VSX 9800 a small brother to the D1S and franky if you can find one of these buy it also. It sounds as crystal clear and strong dymanic range as the D1S. These two units were the best of Pioneer in the 90's and hang in there with the silver face raved about recievers of earlier years. Another bliss experience of listening to music. I too agree they both run rather warm so allow ample air flow. Some add quite fans to allow for more cooling. Just plain WOW

Back
Top Bottom