Pioneer wooden cases

Still love this. More of them need to be made for vintage receivers IMO.
Plain old is still plain old. New and exotic and semi-gloss with real veneer or solid wood is what makes all the work and effort on a restored receiver or amp worth while.

Attachments

• wc_pio_525_19.jpg
    wc_pio_525_19.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 179
  • wc_pio_525_23.jpg
    wc_pio_525_23.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 203
I would just like to comment

In my opinion, Wood cases are one of the most critical keys to a quality vintage stereo or amp restoration. Once decked out in beautiful wood, our prized possessions are adored by all that view and listen to them. When I read this thread it strikes me that it is also the most under appreciated service from a value and monetary compensation viewpoint. Looking at the quality of work both these gentlemen put into their craft, I am embarrassed to read all the negative comments from those inexperienced, as to which method is better, or worth more.

Solid wood cabinets vs. Re-veneer cabinets is not the issue. The point as I see it, is how the individual restoring his receiver wishes to complete his particular restoration. On one hand veneer is a period correct and beautiful restoration for those that care about that sort of thing. On the other hand solid wood is equally beautiful and of very high quality.

Truth be known should either of these gentlemen wish to comment, after plane-ing the rough stock to thickness, gluing pieces together for width, cutting each part to size, routing any special grooves or other requirements, final assembly, sanding, veneering and finishing this is not a highly profitable venture. At the pricing mentioned I would be surprised if this highly skilled craft is producing $15 per hour labor, plus price of materials. When is the last time you got a quality service that reasonable from a painter, plumber, mechanic, electronics repair etc… $80 to $100 per hr. is more the norm.

What’s also missing from the equation is compensation for the years of time spent developing and perfecting the skills to turn out such an awesome product, not to mention the monetary investment in all the tools and other peripherals required. Ladies and Gents, these are works of art from skilled craftsmen that are more concerned with the satisfaction for a job well done!!! I don’t see our young people embracing skills like these today. Society focuses too much on the almighty $$’s

Either solution is well worth over twice the price charged for this valuable service. I say rather than being critical of either method or service we should be thankful we have members willing to provide these valuable services for such a reasonable price.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and God Bless

Buzz

In my opinion, Wood cases are one of the most critical keys to a quality vintage stereo or amp restoration. Once decked out in beautiful wood, our prized possessions are adored by all that view and listen to them. When I read this thread it strikes me that it is also the most under appreciated service from a value and monetary compensation viewpoint. Looking at the quality of work both these gentlemen put into their craft, I am embarrassed to read all the negative comments from those inexperienced, as to which method is better, or worth more.

Solid wood cabinets vs. Re-veneer cabinets is not the issue. The point as I see it, is how the individual restoring his receiver wishes to complete his particular restoration. On one hand veneer is a period correct and beautiful restoration for those that care about that sort of thing. On the other hand solid wood is equally beautiful and of very high quality.

Truth be known should either of these gentlemen wish to comment, after plane-ing the rough stock to thickness, gluing pieces together for width, cutting each part to size, routing any special grooves or other requirements, final assembly, sanding, veneering and finishing this is not a highly profitable venture. At the pricing mentioned I would be surprised if this highly skilled craft is producing $15 per hour labor, plus price of materials. When is the last time you got a quality service that reasonable from a painter, plumber, mechanic, electronics repair etc… $80 to $100 per hr. is more the norm.

What’s also missing from the equation is compensation for the years of time spent developing and perfecting the skills to turn out such an awesome product, not to mention the monetary investment in all the tools and other peripherals required. Ladies and Gents, these are works of art from skilled craftsmen that are more concerned with the satisfaction for a job well done!!! I don’t see our young people embracing skills like these today. Society focuses too much on the almighty $$’s

Either solution is well worth over twice the price charged for this valuable service. I say rather than being critical of either method or service we should be thankful we have members willing to provide these valuable services for such a reasonable price.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and God Bless

Buzz

You are right vintage stereo equipment restored in Solid wood cabinets or Re-veneer ones is a personal choice and one is not better then the other. Solid wood has a advantage over ply veneer solid wood you can aggressively sand and refinish any love bumps I have had to refinish some of mine over the years .
I have had my own wood shop for 39 years now and have tried to get my boys in to it but it isn't their thing .
The investment I have made in in wood working tools far exceeds the price I paid for my mew truck. I have made thousands though the years just in kitchen cabinets for people that has more than covered the cost of all tools and my fishing addiction .
The reason I started making cases for AK members was to give some Karma back . Their is no real money to be made making them so I hope my comment doesn't get me in hot water .

Amos

Last edited:
Last post I comment on my passion for woodworking the investment it takes and the years of experience That I have . I have made more than 50 cases and I only had one request to re veneer one .

Pictured below is a case I am making for my Pioneer SA-9800 shows all the pieces it takes to make one.

To re saw then plane and cut to size routing drill and counter sink the holes and glue it all together takes close to a half day just for one . If I had 3 or 4 to make at the same time it would only take a few more hours that makes better use of the shop time I have and lowers the well you know .

I was going to start a thread on how I made my Pioneer SG-9800 case a steep by steep with all the dimensions and pictures for the hobby guys on the forum I just got to get to it yet

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Mr Dust, ole Roost has seen many cases you"ve made, in pics, and I would not go anywhere else but you if I ever need one, your work is superb sir.

Were I to go this route, I would need cases made, not remade as my SA-9500ii, TX-9500ii, and CT-F1250 are all in metal. Since I wouldn't have a donor wood case for the metal vent panel, do I have a solution?

Were I to go this route, I would need cases made, not remade as my SA-9500ii, TX-9500ii, and CT-F1250 are all in metal. Since I wouldn't have a donor wood case for the metal vent panel, do I have a solution?

It can be done I made several cases that require a vent screen follow this link for pictures of a Pioneer SA-9500II http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-solid-walnut-cases-from-sawdust-beautiful-pix.582995/#post-7693061
The TX-9500II and the CT-F1000 doesn't need a vent
IMG_3051.JPG IMG_2363.JPG

cuda440

I found the pictures of the Pioneer SA-9500II walnut case I made with the vent
079.JPG 081.JPG

I'm just a hobby woodworker, and do most of my work with handtools, but I did make a case for a Kenwood KR-3200 I was given for free missing the case. I used 3/4 inch oak and used a Walnut stain. It's what I had around. By using the same board for the sides I was able to get a nice effect with the end grain radiating out from the receiver. Because I used thicker stock, it does look a bit "bulky" compared to stock cases, but I think the effect is pretty good.

KR3200 front.jpeg

KR3200 left end.jpeg

KR3200 right.jpeg

I used black screening for the vent on the top.

KR3200 top.jpeg

This is a beautiful art form that is rapidly being lost with the advent of today's disposable society.

"Sawdust"....... you are to be commended on your superb craftsmanship.

Last post I comment on my passion for woodworking the investment it takes and the years of experience That I have . I have made more than 50 cases and I only had one request to re veneer one .

Pictured below is a case I am making for my Pioneer SA-9800 shows all the pieces it takes to make one.

To re saw then plane and cut to size routing drill and counter sink the holes and glue it all together takes close to a half day just for one . If I had 3 or 4 to make at the same time it would only take a few more hours that makes better use of the shop time I have and lowers the well you know .

I was going to start a thread on how I made my Pioneer SG-9800 case a steep by steep with all the dimensions and pictures for the hobby guys on the forum I just got to get to it yet

Back
Top Bottom