Pittsburgh--Day II

savatage1973

Addicted Member
I'll post this--I've been contemplating it for the last day and a half, as I don't want to get banned, or offend anyone. If I cross "that line", just delete it, and forget that it ever happened.

I live up North, but I have a second residence in Pittsburgh where I am staying right now, to deal with medical care and lawyers, and my family came here from Lithuania to Pittsburgh 3 generations ago.

The world has changed. I see it, I feel it...

My condolences and prayers for all affected--this is a tragedy of epic proportions for all.

EDIT--I am not of the Hebrew faith--raised hard-core Catholic, but no one deserves to be abused regardless of faith--live and let live...

Last edited:
I lived in Squirrel Hill a few blocks away for 2 years during college and my first year little ole Jewish landlady taught piano at the ToL. One of the most peaceful neighborhoods you could ever hope to be in. Walk Murray on a weekend and it has changed into a quiet town of all races, nationalities and faiths. We would have went to the sat night vigil, but you cant get near it to park on a good day and they shut down the roads.

Charlie daniels once said 'just go and lay your hand, on a pittsburgh steelers fan'....

Pittsburgh has world class resolve and assfoolery will not be tolerated. Scum cannot, and will not win.

as you know from walking around down here its still a high level of disbelief. Not quite a club we wanted membership in. This week we are all Jewish.

All this week there have been tv and print specials on the neighborhood as the new normalcy forms...here is one for those who have been there or plan to:

https://triblive.com/local/alleghen...ks-to-pizza-the-many-wonders-of-squirrel-hill

Jerrys gets a mention (yes, the massive record store upstairs where heads used to be and it is hard to spend >$5 on a record and the legendary Mr Vince at Galaxie electronics hides out.)

The manor is on the corner of murray and darlington, when I lived on darlington it lives in infamy cuz the first and last time I ever loaned out a car, the borrower jumped a curb and hit the side exit for the manor, 90 seconds before a show let out...

It is almost impossible to goto school in pitt without living in, or spending a lot of time in Squirrel hill.

The day after this incident I started reading the Mourner's Kaddish. As a German, I deeply affected bow to all the Jewish victims, families, friends. And to the police officers.

The last of the victims was laid to rest yesterday, and beginning last night, and running all night into this morning, shabbat services are underway here in Pittsburgh. The level of support for the community is so great that the synagogues are standing room only and even have people (of all faiths) gathering outside in the rain on a 40 degree morning as a show of solidarity. The local first-responders (fire and police precincts) have also been on the news declining further food donations, as they have run out of refrigerated space. For a small city, Pittsburgh certainly has resolve.

Back
Top Bottom