Pizza crust recipe?

King Arthur is definitely great, it's what I use for all my bread making. Long ferments also result in better flavor in my opinion. :)

Hey Bret,

Most recipes, using 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour call for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of water, I'm curious as to why your recipe calls for less? or was that a typo?

Here's hoping your still subscribed to this thread

I'm still trying to figure out if the amount of water he suggests is correct or a typo? doesn't seem like it's enough.
Well,without looking at my handwritten notes from the days I was getting this down I cant say for certain.
I'll look into 'em though and see if I can figure out what seems to be the source of confusion.

Odds are that's just where I like to start out,then if I need to add just a little more water it's no problemo I just do so.
But should one start out with too much water,then you gotta add more flour to get it right.
And that runs the risk of throwing off the proportions of the other ingredients.
Sort of a "lesser of evils" kinda thing if you get what I'm saying.

But yeah it has to do a lot with the "feel" of the dough,and keeping it from getting "sticky".
That's also why extra flour gets used for sheeting the dough as well,to keep it from getting too sticky.

HTH

Bret P.

Bret

Thanks for getting back to the thread, I hear what your saying about the water. This thread has inspired me to go full bore into making a really good pizza. I just purchased a Pizza Steel and have been using it under the broiler and the pies have been coming out quite tasty and crispy.

I've also tried and like letting the dough slow rise for up to 72 hours. FWIW there is a Pizza forum with what seems like the same passion as AK

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

For traditional neopolitan dough, I think 70-75% hydration (baker's percentages) is about right. So 70-75g water to every 100g flour.

It'll be wet, but if you do a long raise with a wetter dough you'll get more of that open bubbly crust that's so good.

I only buy King Arthur Bread Flour for my pizza and bagels (and breads)... I buy 4 sacks at a time off Amazon for about the same price as non-store brand all purpose from the supermarket. My local one wants like $5 a sack for it!!!

refrig rising overnight at least is mandatory... 48-60 hours is the ideal time in my opinion

I only buy King Arthur Bread Flour for my pizza and bagels (and breads)... I buy 4 sacks at a time off Amazon for about the same price as non-store brand all purpose from the supermarket. My local one wants like $5 a sack for it!!!

refrig rising overnight at least is mandatory... 48-60 hours is the ideal time in my opinion

I really like slow fermented doughs. I recently got into sourdough and can't wait to try it for pizza. It took a few duds but I made this the other week:

ODo0eBz.jpg

It was ridonkulous.

I really like slow fermented doughs. I recently got into sourdough and can't wait to try it for pizza. It took a few duds but I made this the other week:

ODo0eBz.jpg

It was ridonkulous.

I've been thinking about sourdough too, now I just have to find a starter, I think I'll try my local food coop.

Yo fellow audio addicts and food lovers - listen up- I speak from experience- IF you want to get it right every time we really need to weigh our flour. The amount can vary by as much as 25%. The only way to get repetitive results is to weigh the flour. If you don't then you will need to develop a feel and sense for when the moisture is right and most of us don't do this enough to get to that level. 4 1/4 ounces for a cup. Even cups can vary from one container to the next.

Yo fellow audio addicts and food lovers - listen up- I speak from experience- IF you want to get it right every time we really need to weigh our flour. The amount can vary by as much as 25%. The only way to get repetitive results is to weigh the flour. If you don't then you will need to develop a feel and sense for when the moisture is right and most of us don't do this enough to get to that level. 4 1/4 ounces for a cup. Even cups can vary from one container to the next.

The Lux Man speaks truth.

Plus, you dirty a whole lot fewer measurement devices this way. Put a big bowl on a scale and pour carefully. :)

40 years ago I made a whole lot of pizza dough. The recipe started with something like 5 # 10 cans of warm water, a couple packets of dry yeast. Let it bloom awhile and then dump in a 50lb back of Serco pizza flower and some salt. We'd let it rise to the top of the bowl and punch it down. When it rose again it was get a helper to lift it and dump it out on the table. Portioned, balled, put on trays, trays on rack and rolled into the walk-in. Sit on keg in walk-in and drink a good imported Heineken. Repeat several times. No dough machine, we tossed. House made pizza sauce, real pepperoni and whole milk mozzarella. We had a monster industrial oven running at 750* with 6 shelves rotating like a Ferris wheel. We made copious amounts of seriously good pizza at Theater Organ Pizza and the music was top notch. As the name said we had an 11 rank Robert Morton theater pipe organ complete with percussion and a glockenspiel. the real fun would be after closing when the organ buffs would show and we'd uncork the organ and let them rip. The Theme from Victory at Sea would flat rattle your bowels. Younger guys would play 25 or 6 to 4 and even stuff from Rick Wakeman and Yes. It was epic.

Last edited:
OK, so who can pony up a good recipe for a sauce that'll taste like it came from a New York/New Jersey pizzeria?
I've Googled the heck out of it and no luck.
The last recipe I tried said it might come out "too spicy" and claimed to be just like NY pizza. It couldn't have tasted any more bland.
I grew up there (next door to the Ramsey NJ mentioned in another thread) and cannot find a pizza like it here in the midwest.

I'll eat anything with red sauce and cheese, but there is NOTHING like NY/NJ pizza.

Getting ready to throw a pie into the oven on my newish Pizza Steel. Picked up some killer whole milk Mozzarella at my local small shop cheese purveyor. I'll post picks if it come out worthy of a photo

I like black olives on my pizza. It took me 62 years but I finally had anchovies on my pizza a few weeks ago. I love anchovies but I’m not sure they belong on pizza.

Back
Top Bottom