Pizza crust recipe?

I mix the following in the Kitchen Aid, then let proof till doubled. I crank up the oven to 550F with a travertine floor tile in it (bottom rack), pizza cooks in six minutes.

1 cup warm water
1/2 tsp. yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour
1 tbsp olive oil

Last edited:
^ I'm looking forward to Pizza making season once the weather gets cooler. I use a variation of the 72 hour dough and it's outstanding.

We can't plan on having pizza more than a few hours in advance, so any overnight dough is not practical for us. I've dumped that Genius Kitchen (the "genius" is debatable) recipe for one from Bobby Flay. Since yeast is in short supply apparently (I'm still working on a jar I've had for a while), I made it again today with half the yeast, but let it rise longer in a warm place and it still came out nicely. We have not been able to find bread flour, but early this week I finally found a place online that sells affordable vital wheat gluten I could add to all-purpose flour, and the dough is back to where it should be. All-purpose flour doesn't have the gluten content, and I found the dough to taste OK but it was definitely not as strong or crispy as it was with the right amount of gluten. Today I baked it at 510°F for 12 minutes and the dough came out really nice, without being soggy.

As for the soggy pizza I mentioned a couple of years ago, I figured out it was the mozzarella cheese. A couple of brands I have tried have too much water in them; I try to find low moisture mozzarella whenever I can now. (It also explains why our lasagna was coming out watery.) I also cut the vegetables larger rather than dicing them.

Water has EVERYTHING to do with dough quality. Can’t remember if I mentioned it but there’s a pizza place in Barstow, CA with NYC roots: they have water trucked in from NY weekly. I’m from NY and have eaten there; I knew right away and asked them how they make their dough. They gave me the “professional courtesy tour”.
There is a newer pizza place in Toledo, OH called Stubborn Brother Pizza Bar, and they make a NYC-style pie. They've even got the water figured out:

We started this business because we are stubborn about making pizza in an “old world style”. An honest return to the authentic essence of flour, cheese and tomatoes. It is the kind of food that has roots. Roots that go all the way back to Italy, when the freshest local ingredients were used. We have recreated this by developing our own Stubborn Brother pizza flour, cheese and sauce. We sourced established family businesses, a local organic flour mill and farms across Ohio who shared their generational knowledge with us so we could incorporate the freshest local ingredients into our original recipes. It is food that connects the community of people who grow, prepare and eat the food we serve. Even the water we use is special. It is filtered and molecularly replicates NYC water.
https://stubbornbrother.com/about-us/

Going to try it once we are allowed out of our houses here...

What prompted my reinvigoration was last trip through the grocery noticed 10lb packs of bread flour so snagged one. Only have 1.5 packs of yeast left though and that's been in short supply 'round here.

I make my dough 50/50 all-purpose unbleached and whole wheat flours. I have a stone on top shelf of convection oven turn it to the top 550+ oF ,6 min on a pizza pan the 2 min off onto the stone ...pizza perfection . cheers20200117_183121.jpg

What prompted my reinvigoration was last trip through the grocery noticed 10lb packs of bread flour so snagged one. Only have 1.5 packs of yeast left though and that's been in short supply 'round here.
Around us, someone mentioned that a small Mediterranean market had yeast and bread flour available--it's possible some of the smaller or specialty markets may still have the yeast available. My jar is just under half empty now, and now that I've read about ways to use half the yeast (warmer, with longer rise time), it will last me even longer. We don't have bread too often here, so it's not like we use a lot of it.

I made a batch of dough the other night and it's been slow fermenting in the fridge. Tomorrow night is pie night so I'm looking forward to that.

I see some recent mentions of lack of flour, yeast etc and while some some of the big chain grocery stores are having issues keeping their shelves stocked.

I've been having luck at local mom & pop stores and our local food coop (who sources regionally milled flours) plus I'd rather spend my money at these local small business.

Going to make Pizza next week - so starting the dough today - I don't have the measurements handy but the ingredients are simple:
- bottled water (I find best for baking vs our tap water) - specific gram amount - that I'll weigh (everything in grams and weighed)
- flour (bread or regular based on what I have)
- Kosher salt
- yeast - something like a 1/4 teaspoon - not very much

Very simple - I'll mix everything by hand - then cover for 24 hours room temp - then transfer to fridge for 3 days.

Comes out wonderfully - very sourdough like - chewy (I use a similar recipe to make dutch oven sourdough round)

Toughest part is making it 4 days in advance.

Edit: Didn't read this thread in entirety - just found out it's probably from that 72 hour recipe above. Seems familiar.

I'm thinking on making a batch a day for a few days... then when they reach 3 days I'll bag & freeze it. That way I can pull out a pie or 2 in quicker notice... just need to thaw, instead of slow rise for 3-4 days!

Almost pizza weather here. I have an Onlyfire pizza oven sits on top my 22" Weber kettle. I use Robertas dough recipe. It uses a mix of 1/2 general purpose and 1/2 00 flour. Rises in about 3 hrs. Dough makes a great Neopolitan crust that is crispy with a good chew. Very convenient and I prefer it to a slow rise. My oven cooks a pizza in a couple minutes. Charcoal supplimented with wood splits.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes...KpEiYQutid_jCAvlm1xfMtETfObDAfARoCJeUQAvD_BwE

I mix the following in the Kitchen Aid, then let proof till doubled. I crank up the oven to 550F with a travertine floor tile in it (bottom rack), pizza cooks in six minutes.

1 cup warm water
1/2 tsp. yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour
1 tbsp olive oil

This is pretty close to what we do. Our adjustments...

1 and 1/4 cups warm water (about 110F prior to putting in bowl)
3 cups unbleached flour (sometimes subbing in 1/2 cup of semolina flour)
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 and 1/2 tsp yeast

Usually, I cheat and just dump it all in a bread maker and let it run through the mix and first rise cycles (about 100 minutes total on ours), then remove the dough, knead/punch down lightly, divide in half, and place in two smallish oiled bowls. Cover with plastic wrap, then into the fridge for at least a day. Day two or three is even better. Can be used immediately, too, but never quite develops the same nice "chew.".... it's a lighter version, but still tasty. Hand tosses beautifully most of the time after a day in the fridge. A little fragile if used immediately.

We bake at our oven's highest setting (550F) on a large thick stone placed on the lowest rack, preheated for at least 30 minutes. The lowest rack gives us the fastest rise of the crust with some nice slightly charred bubbles, a good crisp bottom, and toppings that aren't overdone. We used to cook two pizzas at once on two stones with one on a middle rack, but stopped doing that and just cook one at a time; the oven stays hotter, the results are better, and the pizza on the bottom rack always came out better anyway.

I'm getting hungry... making gnudis tonight!! :)

Back
Top Bottom