PL 530 Tonearm return problem

When the album gets done playing, the tonearm goes to the very edge of the clamp. Also when the repeat function is on this problem causes the tonearm to go to the center of the LP. Any ideas?

Take the bottom cover off. Attached to the tonearm near the base is a lever that the linkages push on to make it move. On the end of the lever is a rubber dampening pad that often gets gooey or sticky. Replace it with another piece of rubber or felt the same thickness and you should be ok.

Take the bottom cover off. Attached to the tonearm near the base is a lever that the linkages push on to make it move. On the end of the lever is a rubber dampening pad that often gets gooey or sticky. Replace it with another piece of rubber or felt the same thickness and you should be ok.

DSC02781.jpg

Not sure where that is?

Hard to see it from that pic.

Lemme open up one of my parts units and take a pic to point it out.

Something is sticking. Probably due to old grease that is tarting to harden. pull the stylus out of the cart and operate the turntable with the right side hanging over your work area that way you can see the mechanism in operation and try to see what might be causing it to fail this way.

Something is sticking. Probably due to old grease that is tarting to harden. pull the stylus out of the cart and operate the turntable with the right side hanging over your work area that way you can see the mechanism in operation and try to see what might be causing it to fail this way.

Ok, put it away for a few days, was ready to throw it hehehehe :nono:

Ok - I was watching this thread. I also have a PL-530X with the infamous tone arm "not returning all the way" problem. Tonight I finally got up enough nerve to open it up and try to fix it.

Scraping the remains of the old felt pad off, and replacing it with a small square of felt pad (like those you put under table legs) fixed the problem completely. The arm now returns all the way.

While in there, I also had to fix the repeat button linkage - the white plastic connector had cracked and let the wire come off of it. I jury rigged it with tightly wound tape followed by small twists of wire to hold it in place. Not very professional, but it now works great.

And rattling around inside were the extra screw in weight for the back of the tonearm, and the top locking screw to hold the lateral weight post in place.....I was looking for those - guess the previous owner hid them inside.

So I think now my 530X is about as "working to spec" as I could hope.

Can anyone suggest a polish for the outer chrome rim of the platter? Mine is a little tarnished/oxidized. A shiny polished look would help convince me to keep this beautiful table.

Thanks - Rob

I thought I'd post a few pics of what mine looked like with the new pad put in place. The new pad is tan/beige in color.

I know the OP fixed his, but just in case someone stumbles across this thread and needs a few 'after' pics for reference.

Rob

Attachments

• 100_0275.jpg
    100_0275.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 335
  • 100_0281.jpg
    100_0281.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 100_0282.jpg
    100_0282.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 313
I thought I'd post a few pics of what mine looked like with the new pad put in place. The new pad is tan/beige in color.

I know the OP fixed his, but just in case someone stumbles across this thread and needs a few 'after' pics for reference.

Rob

What adhesive did you use to reattach the pad. I have a few other somewhat delicate parts I need to repair and was wondering about a safe adhesive. Thanks.

Regards,

D-Ray

What adhesive did you use to reattach the pad. I have a few other somewhat delicate parts I need to repair and was wondering about a safe adhesive. Thanks.

Regards,

D-Ray

The pad I used already had a peel off adhesive backing. I just used that and it stuck ok.

It was from a package of felt circles and squares to stick to bottoms of couch legs, glass items, and other things you want to protect from scratching a surface.

Nothing fancy. Just don't use Gorilla Glue. It expands so much as it dries, it may limit movement, or cause other problems.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom