PL-707 Quartz Lock Issue - Capacitors?

notropey

I just acquired a Pioneer PL-707 Turntable in decent condition. I ran through it, gave it a good clean, switches and what not. I have a feeling it hasn't seen action in decades.

So it works, but it has issues with the speed at start up. After it warms up say after 20mins it plays like a champ. Its Quartz lock, this is my first Quartz lock turntable and most modern too.

So I was thinking that I would probably replaced the capacitors. Do you guys think this is a good place to start to fix the speed issue or is there something else you would recommend?

Thanks for any help.

Get the Service manual for the PL-707. https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-707.shtml The owners manual is also available, so pick that up too. You have to register, but it's free. Clean the switches with DeOxit 1st and then lube with Faderlube (F-5).

You'll need a Oscilloscope and a synchroscope to set the speed as it's all IC controlled. There is a troubleshooting section in the manual to possibly help you with it. Should you run into problems, STOP and ask questions in the thread. It's possible that a cap or two might be going bad. But a shotgun approach isn't the best option with the 707. Fix the problem 1st. The IC's are typical pioneer IC's. Proprietary, so they will only be available from parts donors, unless someone has reverse engineered these IC's and have a workaround for them.

Thanks for the advice. I now managed to get it running again at a constant speed from start up. Cheers.

Well I re-flowed the solder on the IC's, and while I had it torn apart I replace some of the capacitors, re-oiled the spindle shaft, cleaned all switches etc. Then re-aligned the cartridge and tracking force. That seemed to do the trick. Glad I didn't have to replace the IC's

The most important thing there are 2 variable resistors that need a bit of cleaning too. VR1 and VR2, these were the culprits. But mark their original position before you attempt anything.

The most important thing there are 2 variable resistors that need a bit of cleaning too. VR1 and VR2, these were the culprits. But mark their original position before you attempt anything.
I'll remember that if mine ever starts acting up. How do you like the PL-707 by the way, I love mine but am always wanting to know how others feel about theirs.

Great hope it's of some use. Yeah it's a great turntable, probably the best I've owned. I feel it came out in the wrong part of the 80's and missed the cult following other earlier Pioneer turntables seem to get. Which is a shame because its rock solid, well after you work out the kinks.

Back
Top Bottom