Plasma Vs. Lcd

DS1784

I know this has been gone over to death. but I still am up in the air about what to choose. plasma or lcd. I need something in the fifty inch size. It will be mounted on my wall with a window directly to the side of the tv. I primarily watch broadcast tv and movies. not a sports nut though.

Plasma is cheaper (price wise). All else is relatively equal nowadays. Go look at them, play a good DVD on both, check your bank account and decide.

Jimmy

My personal preference is for plasma, but as JN stated, look for yourself, with a good disc, and in similar lighting.
Jack

Plazma for very lit rooms IMO

Not to mention LCD's blacks still look pretty gray to me.

My choices came down to a 40" Sony Bravia LCD, 42" Panasonic Plasma or
46" Sony Bravia LCD.

I ended up with the Panasonic because of the price, but the Sony 46" is the nicest TV I've seen in its size. Sure enough you get what you pay for, that TV is well over 3 grand. But what a stunning picture.

BJs warehouse had a 50" Panasonic Plasma for $2299 after a maunufacturer's $200 mail-in rebate, saw that today. Don't think you can do much better than that, price and performance taken into account.

Hmmmm

grumpy said:
Plazma for very lit rooms IMO

Not to mention LCD's blacks still look pretty gray to me.
To me LCD is brighter and works better in a brightly lit room, especially one with direct sunlight. I don't think the blacks on an LCD are gray, the problem is there is not as much contrast so the blacks lose detail compared to plasma. Plasmas clearly do better with blacks. Where I work we've been using PDP's for at least seven years and they have not held up well. Keep in mind they are on for 10+ hours a day. We've also been using LCD monitors and now TV's and they have held up much better. Because of this negative impression that is probably no longer valid I went with a Sharp 45" 1080P LCD for my bedroom. It has an amazing HD picture on it but looks crappy with SD pictures.

Attachments

• Sharp 45 4-1.jpg
    Sharp 45 4-1.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 58
Warning: Thread hijack alert.

What about DLP? I keep hearing more good things about it, but those "spinning mirrors" make me worried about failures down the road.

DLP is a whole 'nother subject. Yes, the spinning color wheel has some issues, not the least of which is rainbows. I assume DS1784 is looking for a flat panel TV. That would rule out DLP.
Jack

Fisherdude said:
Warning: Thread hijack alert.

What about DLP? I keep hearing more good things about it, but those "spinning mirrors" make me worried about failures down the road.
DLP is cool but not for hanging on the wall. I actually prefer the Sony SXRD LCD projection technology a bit better. No color wheel as they use three color chips.

Home Theater magazine

Before you buy, read a couple of issues. If you can, get the Novermber issue (the one with Carman Electra on the cover.) Very good issue on what specific models will actually give you full resolution - very surprising that most don't......C

Duffinator said:
To me LCD is brighter and works better in a brightly lit room, especially one with direct sunlight. I don't think the blacks on an LCD are gray, the problem is there is not as much contrast so the blacks lose detail compared to plasma. Plasmas clearly do better with blacks. Where I work we've been using PDP's for at least seven years and they have not held up well. Keep in mind they are on for 10+ hours a day. We've also been using LCD monitors and now TV's and they have held up much better. Because of this negative impression that is probably no longer valid I went with a Sharp 45" 1080P LCD for my bedroom. It has an amazing HD picture on it but looks crappy with SD pictures.

10 year old displays are old technology. The new ones are rated for much longer.

grumpy said:
10 year old displays are old technology. The new ones are rated for much longer.
Plasmas and LCDs have both gotten better. The plasmas were purchased seven years ago not ten and only lasted a few years. At $30K a pop the NEC TV's did not represent a good value. :D But my point was the LCD has been more reliable from my perspective as they were purchased at the same time and many are still in use today. Regardless both technologies are over three decades old and were developed about the same time.

For the best, listen to NacDoc. Pioneer makes their own and they are the best, but, prepare to pay for the best.

Plasmas are emissive (emit light), while LCDs are transmissive (work by selective blockage from a back-light). Because of this, LCDs blacks will never quite be black, but dark gray. Also, light and color dynamic range is typically greater with Plasma's.

LCD is a good, long-lasting technology, but in the larger sizes (36" +) are still not the best bang for your buck. They are still a bit on the pricey side, with the price divergence starting at around 32". LCDs do use less power and generate less heat. In your typical viewing room, ambient light levels should not be high enough to cause problems with LCDs.

Today, reliability should not be an issue with either one. I suggest that you stick with the more known brand names (Pioneer, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc.) for a whole variety of reasons (quality, support, reliability, etc.). Yes, most of the display panels are made by one of 3 major manufacturers, however, the control electronics are not.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Depends on whether you are determined to wall-hang the screen or not. The best looking 1080p television out there right now is Sony's SXRD LCOS set. The KDS-60A2000. I won't say anything other than - go watch one.

Hey there Duff!

I may live in Boise now, but I was born and raised in and around Sacto! Moved here 5 years ago. I was just there for Turkey Day. :D

Back
Top Bottom