Plasma Vs. Lcd

Jack G said:
That sucks-I didn't know that!

I tried, but couldn't find her.
Jack
I needed the Westy because of its low height with the stand attached. There are other LCDs in the 42 inch range that are 1080p, but may cost a bit more for the tuner.

Well I finally pulled the trigger. Bought a sharp aqous 52d62. What a great television. 52 inch lcd. fantastic picture, even for my 50 year old eyes

botrytis said:
Well - max resolution on a 42" plasma is 1024 x 768 - that is because of manufacturing issues (that is for a non-interlaced picture). Hitachi/Toshiba makes an AliS 42" that they say is 1024 x 1024 but it really is an interlaced picture - so the plasma is really 1024 x 512.
Are you sure that' correct? I thought true 1080p HDTV is 1900 x 1200?

Power consumption?

I'm curious about the power consumption issues. I read a NY Times interview recently with the CEO of Duke Energy in which he said plasma screens use 2.5 times more electricity than a standard CRT. How do LCDs and DLPs compare?

botrytis said:
Well - max resolution on a 42" plasma is 1024 x 768 - that is because of manufacturing issues (that is for a non-interlaced picture). Hitachi/Toshiba makes an AliS 42" that they say is 1024 x 1024 but it really is an interlaced picture - so the plasma is really 1024 x 512.

That said - my 43" Pioneer plasma looks awesome to my eyes. Everyone buys what they like.

I want to also mention that pixels on a plasma are not the same as on other sets. THis is due to the design - a pixel normally can only show one color at a time. This is not true on a plasma - they can show many different colors (depends on the manufacturer).

Dave
Plasma's will not display a interlaced image. They are fixed pixel displays!

I'm living in a hotel for the next 6 weeks (and I plan on purchasing a TV after I get out of here) dealing with a dial-up connection and it took me about 30 minutes to get through these 6 pages, so if I ask a question asked on another thread, it's not due to my laziness (just anger at the S L O W connection) by not researching all the awesome AK threads in this forum. Quite interesting indeed.

Before I take the plasma/LCD plunge, I have to know which is more fit to travelling? I have about another 2 housing moves before I settle down and retire and heard through the rumor mill that plasmas are subject to damage more easily than LCDs though I am unsure just how this would be true.

I was leaning towards an LCD and still prefer one over the plasma due to screen reflectivity and the WAF is on high with the bigger the better.

I appreciate any help given. :thmbsp:
-Dave

Is hi-def really ready for prime time?

Or is the emperor not wearing any clothes?

Well, I sat and watched a 1080P Sony LCD set at Future Shop yesterday for about 15 minutes. It was playing a Rogers Cable feed from Discovery Channel HD. I was disappointed in two things: when anything with faster action happened on the screen (birds flying by, small fish swimming by) the objects in motion were blurred badly. Also, many dark objects became just a blob on the screen, with no detail. One such scene was a buffalo bull with a very dark coat, standing still. While I could make out great detail on his head and shoulders (which were a lighter colour) his body, almost completely black, was just a single, monotone, solid black.

Is this typical, or are there sets that are better at this? If this is the rule, I'm not ready to change yet, it's just too crude and annoying to watch. The set was C$3,799, so I can only wonder how it would feel to watch a show with blurs and blobs after having paid that much.

I didn't see a hi-def disc source played, so perhaps this doesn't happen on that kind of source. But the bulk of what I watch is live TV, or TV off the hard drive of a PVR.

Surely current technology can do better than that!

Aage said:
Or is the emperor not wearing any clothes?

Well, I sat and watched a 1080P Sony LCD set at Future Shop yesterday for about 15 minutes. It was playing a Rogers Cable feed from Discovery Channel HD. I was disappointed in two things: when anything with faster action happened on the screen (birds flying by, small fish swimming by) the objects in motion were blurred badly. Also, many dark objects became just a blob on the screen, with no detail. One such scene was a buffalo bull with a very dark coat, standing still. While I could make out great detail on his head and shoulders (which were a lighter colour) his body, almost completely black, was just a single, monotone, solid black.

Is this typical, or are there sets that are better at this? If this is the rule, I'm not ready to change yet, it's just too crude and annoying to watch. The set was C$3,799, so I can only wonder how it would feel to watch a show with blurs and blobs after having paid that much.

I didn't see a hi-def disc source played, so perhaps this doesn't happen on that kind of source. But the bulk of what I watch is live TV, or TV off the hard drive of a PVR.

Surely current technology can do better than that!

Same problem I have had with LCD. As soon as things start moving quickly, it would get blocky and distorted. I am sure they will get over it, and some of the newer ones are better, but I am thinking end of 2008 before I am ready to commit...

Duffinator said:
Outside of user control and size how did the SXRD picture compare to the finest plasmas? This TV is on the top of my list for replacing my Toshiba 56H80 that is now six years old and has no digital inputs. The ability to accept a 1080P input is VERY appealing to me. While not many sources now there will be and I don't want to get stuck again like I did with my Toshiba. From my analysis the SXRD has the best picture of the digital RPTV's but I have not compared it directly to the big plasmas, meaning larger than 50", which is a requirement for me.
Unless you are buying a hd tv larger than 42" you are wasting your money on 1080p. You cannot tell the difference in resolution, unless you are 1' from the screen. If you are getting a larger than 42", as you go up in size the difference in picture quality between 1080p and 720p goes up

Screen reflection was the deciding facor for us. LCD is much better for not reflecting windows, lights etc...

Larry

So I know this thread has been going awhile, has there been any new thoughts on this based on new market conditions or updated models that have come out?:scratch2:

Unless you are buying a hd tv larger than 42" you are wasting your money on 1080p. You cannot tell the difference in resolution, unless you are 1' from the screen. If you are getting a larger than 42", as you go up in size the difference in picture quality between 1080p and 720p goes up

Locally, I can buy a new Panasonic 42" 720P Plasma for $999.00!

An absolute killer deal. Fantastic TV.

Pioneer plasma folks. Take it from a pro who fixes HD sets.
Similar thread over in the McIntosh forum, where a fair number of folks spend lots of $$ on their HT rigs came to a similar conclusion for reasons of overall quality (pic, set-up & build).

I for one am stuck on plasma, don't ask why just am. Since I saw the $20,000 models in a local Fry's store I was hooked. I know LCD's are improving all the time. I see less and less adverts for plasma in Crutchfield and at Best Buy, Circiut City etc... Whats going on with plasma?
I figure in just a few years I might get a nice used 50" PIONEER plasma for around $400 that originally cost $4000, then again maybe I am dreaming. At least I have my 40" 4:3 $400 plasma to suffice for now.
Regardless of the technical jargon of one or the other plasma is my choice.:yes:

I'm also in the market, and went to Sound Advise (tweeters up north), and the guy stuck in a DVD, Blue ray, and HD-DVD disc going to all the TVs on the wall.

The disc was of a close shot of a globe, where you saw text of countries and the colors of the countries, etc. Well, when the motion started (like somebody started slowly turning it), you could HARDLY read the text on the lcd because of the trailing, even on the 5ms lcds. Also, the blacks weren't AS black. That was a deal breaker. You could definitly see the differences between the formats, even going from 1080i to 1080p when it was a/b'd on the disc. The trailing wasn't even really noticeable on the LCDs unless you came of watching a plasma for about 5 minutes...until he stuck in that disc, it was absolutely horrible.

And when he showed me the Pioneer Elite series of Plasmas, it's no comparison....absolutely rediculous picture quality and contrast. They were also having a private unannounced weekend sale, I think it was a 60 something incher, normally $7K, on sale for $4K...I wish I had $4K at that moment. All the tvs were on sale, but that was the most notable one.

Pioneer followed by Panasonic, won't regret either decision, have picked up a Panasonic plasma recently and am very pleased with it.

I have a plasma TV (last year's Panasonic) so of course I'm a little biased.

However, when looking at the different technology sets, I came away with the opinion that plasma TVs seem to present a more 3D-like image.

Mine is a "mere" 720p set, but resolution is often misunderstood and oversold anyway. Unless you are sitting very close to the set, 720p is quite adequate. For instance, on a 50" set, you have to be sitting approximately ~7 feet OR LESS from the set to gain any advantage of resolution 1080p over 720p. If you have a bigger set or smaller set, the distances become greater or lesser where higher resolution becomes beneficial.

See this chart http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

Often, one hears "I'll get 1080p so I'm ready for the future". However, unless you think your eyes are going to get better, or you are going to move closer to the TV, the effective resolution vs distance doesn't change. OTOH, a 1080p set may (but not necessarily) be the company's top offering thus inherently has better circuits inside than merely a difference in resolution.

That's a pretty neat chart! Hmm...my TV is gonna be about 5-10 feet away, so I'm thinking ANY plasma set will be fine at under 50 inches...well, that just about narrowed my decision making A LOT. Now I can spend more on the sounds system, lol.

Back
Top Bottom