Plastic Tubs?

sjfloat

Am I the only one here still storing their vinyl in plastic tubs? I've considered doing the Expedit thing or building something. But my listening space probably won't be long term. I expect I'll probably be moving to a different location in the house -- maybe multiple times. I like the portability and that I can just put a lid on them and keep them dust-free. But I *don't* like the lousy accessibility.

Has anybody done a kind of hybrid thing that still uses tubs (or boxes/crates/whatever)?

Not the worst of solutions I suppose as long as they aren't too tight so that the corners are at risk of getting dinged, etc. If you are on the fence you could get some of the Expedits (or whatever they are calling them now) in the 4 space variety as they are easy to find space for/distribute around as well as move once you are ready. The bins can then be nested inside one another and placed in an inconspicuous spot in the meantime.

Not the worst of solutions I suppose as long as they aren't too tight so that the corners are at risk of getting dinged, etc. If you are on the fence you could get some of the Expedits (or whatever they are calling them now) in the 4 space variety as they are easy to find space for/distribute around as well as move once you are ready. The bins can then be nested inside one another and placed in an inconspicuous spot in the meantime.

Yes, *hidden* actually. I'm sure they'd walk away otherwise. :)

I was think along the same lines, i.e., *not* surrendering the tubs. And I still don't think I could build anything more economically than Expedit/Kallax.

Thanks

They really are a great value and if you stick with the small ones you can configure them in some many places and ways and, as I mentioned, they are super easy to move empty.

I bought some cardboard record boxes that are so big that I can barely lift them. They're sturdy, but hold too many records for me and my bad back. Once I put a 4 mm poly sleeve on them and a better insert it's one heavy box. I still use them though - I have 8 on my shelves, plus 4 of the smaller archival ones (a little small, but I like them).

Big Box
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/3839/12-record-storage-box-corrugated-cardboard

More recently I've shifted to this smaller box for my special collections.

Smaller Archival Box
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/5856/12-record-storage-box-blue-gray-archival-barrier-board

Easier for me to pick up and move. I'll have a whole box of just The Beatles, just The Who.

They sell spacers too if you're as particular as I am, but oddly I have to trim them a bit, even though they say they fit the boxes... they're too tall, the cover doesn't fit on right.

Now a comment about using plastic tubs - I fear water damage more than anything so tubs have their place, but I don't like their look. Next time my above neighbor floods her bathroom I'll be wishing I had tubs.

Now a comment about using plastic tubs - I fear water damage more than anything so tubs have their place, but I don't like their look. Next time my above neighbor floods her bathroom I'll be wishing I had tubs.

They're sho' nuff ugly. :) But they've preserved my collection amazingly well through some pretty brutal conditions over decades-long storage. I'm leaning toward building special purpose tub shelves. They *would* be an eye sore though.

Back
Top Bottom