PLATTER MAT

james m

what's the best way to clean a turntable platter mat to make it look good with out harming it? anyhelp would be great. thanks i'm new to tt's

What's the mat made from? I use distilled water on rubber mats. Felt mats I just shake out. Don't put anything on the mat that you wouldn't put on your records.

What's the mat made from? I use distilled water on rubber mats. Felt mats I just shake out. Don't put anything on the mat that you wouldn't put on your records.
made of rubber. it as a whitish film on it that i can't seam to get off.

What about basic soap & water?
This ^ ^ ^ ^

pic25_zpsxwwrujyp.jpg

Just some dish-washing soap and warm water. Let it soak for a few minutes, then scrub with sponge, rinse and let dry.

In desperation, I used a fine Scotch Biight pad with Zep Fast 505 from Walmart, very carefully, because the pads are abrasive. My pad was blue Sorbathane that had turned milky white.
What ever you use test it on the bottom first. My 40 year old Platter Matter looks like new. Zep Fast 505 is a strong cleaner so don't use it on fine finishes. Rinse it well with hot waser, finished by cold, do not soak in 505 or water, for long periods because some materials absorb water. I dry mine in the sun flipping it many times after, a serious cleaning. .

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner #40--apply it--let it soak in and then wipe off any excess.

I also have a rubber mat. From time to time i clean it in the kitchen sink with warm water and a bit of soap. Than tap it dry with a clean cloth. Removes oil from fingers and other things. No problem using water. Water works...

I use Clorox Clean-Up on mine. I spay it down and use a toothbrush to get into the hard-to-reach areas. Afterward, I rinse it very thoroughly. Never had any problems.

I've used Greased Lightning and a toothbrush to get in the grooves, then a thorough rinse. Does good for me.

Back
Top Bottom