Play FLAC files through 2-channel system

Formats (FLAC or others) have nothing to do with the composition of a system.

Well, the system must have a component that is capable of rendering the media format...

Bluetooth could be a candidate mechanism for doing this, but it won't handle the lossless FLAC audio.

So the desire to play FLAC is relevant to the discussion of, and composition of the system.

I too am looking for a FLAC player to connect to my preamp via RCA, and the more threads I read the more confused I am. There are 9 pages of Rasberry pi's on Amazon. I don't want to use a PC and would rather have a self-contained single-purpose unit. I have a 128GB USB stick with my FLAC files. Is there something simple and all-inclusive?

There are 9 pages of Rasberry pi's on Amazon

And they're all the same, essentially...

Buy a Pi 3 Model B or B+ (most DAC hats will be compatible with this footprint).
Buy a DAC hat.
Burn a uSD card with your preferred media app & insert into the Pi.
Plug in your USB stick, turn on the Pi, and configure the app to index the media on the USB stick.
Connect the DAC output to your hifi.
Drive the player from its web interface (or whatever interface it provides).
Enjoy your music.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

I think the 'Buy' link should map to a country-specific source, in which case, you would be supporting the work of the RPi Foundation (a registered charity).

I too am looking for a FLAC player to connect to my preamp via RCA, and the more threads I read the more confused I am. There are 9 pages of Rasberry pi's on Amazon. I don't want to use a PC and would rather have a self-contained single-purpose unit. I have a 128GB USB stick with my FLAC files. Is there something simple and all-inclusive?

Get the latest Pi, which is the 3 B+. I have a hard disk on mine for storage. I started ripping to FLAC, but now I just rip to AIFF. Disk space is cheap.

Another vote for the RPi platform in your budget. It can include an internal DAC "HAT" or simply digital card connected to an external DAC as I do. I use my computer as host for LMS (Logitech Media Server) to house the files networked to the RPi running piCorePlayer. Since the player operating system and playback software is tiny, I'm able to allocate 600 MB of the RPi's memory as a large output buffer.

With Redbook content, it is essentially a memory player. Still works with the Squeezebox server software but is far superior sounding to the Touch which it replaced and is not sample rate limited.

I use my OPPO disc player. HDD/USB direct to the OPPO. You need a cheap video display/TV to operate it, though.

Just like my OPPO UHD-203`s USB 3 SSD setup, using a baby sized( QFX 16") HDM input monitor/OTA TV flat screen..
Must be decent, `cause I haven`t turned off for well over 1 & 3/4 years, or the OPPO either..

Bought it from MCM Electronics before they merged with Newark Electronics, and was inexpensive too.
Less than $IMG_0944.jpg 140.00, IIRC..

Here is a Rasberry based system that is somewhat simple and all-inclusive:

https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss-player.html#hardware

It appears to include a power supply. You can save $40 with the acrylic case and another $20 with the 3B pi rather than the 3B+. Thats probably less then the sum of the parts and it's preassembled and loaded.

Last edited:
I still can't get over how amazing the cheap 16x Phillips TDA1543 chip DAC's by Lee Audio sound. Sure they only play 16/44, and the sine wave isn't at all smooth, though you'd never know it to listen through them. A bit of an eye opener. To my ears they better many far more expensive DAC's

Formats (FLAC or others) have nothing to do with the composition of a system.
Well, the system must have a component that is capable of rendering the media format...
Well. I spoke of a SYSTEM exactly in its form mentioned by the topic starter:
“Desktop PC; Nikko Beta 40 preamp and Nikko Alpha 440 power amp”. And some speakers and/or headphones, sure.

In this composition, there is NO need to insert an external component that is capable of rendering the media format. To have a FREE universal program player in a PC, it’s a “must” even not to discuss.

And in the aspect of SOUND QUALITY, formats (FLAC or others) have nothing to do with the composition of a system meaning its preamp, power amp, sound processors and loudspeakers and/or headphones.

One of my my setups: chromecast audio > ethernet adapter,connect to a preamp/DAC via RCA/Toslink> play any file type.

Thanks, what is a DAC Hat?
While Dave answered the question, here's a pic of my RPi using an Allo DigiOne board (as HAT) powered by a cell phone battery charger. The "HAT" connects to the main board via a 40 pin connector.

rpi1218.jpg

As the header states I am looking at the best way to play FLAC and other lossless files through my main system (Nikko Beta 40 preamp and Nikko Alpha 440 power amp).
I am currently using an old and noisy desktop PC connected to the preamp via a 3.5mm to RCA cable assembly. The sound is far from great and I believe the cheap soundcard is one of the main culprits here. The other issue is the fan which sounds like a Boeing 747.

Could anyone advise on any units that can be connected directly to the preamp?
All music is on a separate 1TB harddrive so if required I can move it from the PC and install in such unit.
My budget is $500 or so.
The last resort would be to buy a new desktop (which I intend to do anyway) with a good soundcard, but I am hoping to find a neater separate solution where I don't have to switch on the PC every time I want to listen to music.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Xduoo X3II and a BTR would do the trick..

Back
Top Bottom