Please help. How do I play music from iMac to my iPhone via Apple TV?

meggy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've Googled to no avail. Everything I see is how to play what's on your phone to your Apple TV. That's not what I want. I want to use my iPhone6 to connect to my iMac to play my iTunes on my phone in my house. Just like my TV plays my iTunes from my iMac. Not talking about "the cloud".

Any ideas or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think the reason you are not finding anything on that is because it probably can't be done. And I think it can't be done because there wouldn't be much of a use case for it, most would just sync the songs on the iMac to the iPhone and play directly off the phone, or as you lready mentioned play from the cloud. But I could be wrong.

That's what I was afraid of, but hopefully there's a way. I've got way more songs on my iMac than I'd need or want or could fit on my phone. Where this is really going is if it could be done, then my iPhone plugs into my "new" console in the living room an guests could choose what they want to hear from my iPhone ---> Imac

Are you talking about using your phone as a remote control for your computer?

Are you talking about using your phone to access shared files on your network?
Like once two computers have been given permission on your network to share screens and files, one computer can go into the others iTums and play those songs.

I never seen this being able to be done, if you want music on a specific computer, you plug your phone into that one, open itunes and sync them together, then select all or some music files.

That's what I was afraid of, but hopefully there's a way. I've got way more songs on my iMac than I'd need or want or could fit on my phone. Where this is really going is if it could be done, then my iPhone plugs into my "new" console in the living room an guests could choose what they want to hear from my iPhone ---> Imac
Two computers can share like that on a network and even the smart TV, but not your mobil device.

You can select what titles and song that you want in your phone when you sync the phone to iTunes on the mac.

Boy you'd think that could be done. Here's the setup the iPhone would plug into. It's in the same room as the Apple TV box.

IMG_5542.JPG

Haven't quite finished mounting stuff but it works.
IMG_5543.JPG

Try Home Sharing

Use Home Sharing on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  1. Go to Settings > Music
  2. Scroll down to the heading called Home Sharing.
  3. If you see, "Sign in," tap it. Then enter your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.
More details here

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202190

Wait. Isn't there an "access my mac" app? Kind of like a desktop share?

You can do that with computers like I said, but not with a phone and computer.

Boy you'd think that could be done. Here's the setup the iPhone would plug into. It's in the same room as the Apple TV box.

You can connect your TV to the console and then get the music searching on the TV

TV output > mini jack to RCA > Console.

Or Audioengine D2 24bit WiFi DAC
http://audioengineusa.com/shop/adapters/d2-24-bit-wireless-dac/

Try Home Sharing

Use Home Sharing on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  1. Go to Settings > Music
  2. Scroll down to the heading called Home Sharing.
  3. If you see, "Sign in," tap it. Then enter your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.
More details here

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202190
I have my computers setup like this but never seen it work on my phone. I have to update the OS in my main mac and then maybe I can see my phone in iTunes network other than just syncing.

BTW in Home Sharing, the computers you want to access need to be on and your iTunes open on them. After a while depending on your settings the computer can go to sleep and then you'll get cut off, so keep it awake and extend your time.

You can do that with computers like I said, but not with a phone and computer.

You can connect your TV to the console and then get the music searching on the TV

TV output > mini jack to RCA > Console.

Yeah, that was my last resort. Hard wire it.

You go to the Apps store and download the Remote App onto your iphone. Its FREE from Apple.
Remote lets you use your iPhone as a remote control for iTunes on your iMac.
All the songs on my iPhone came from my macPro ... so I just need to play them in iTunes to feed the house.
When sitting at your iMac, you go into iTunes and set up the speakers in your house as "speakers".
You will need to have either Airport Express or AppleTV units at those locations.
I have my house set up exactly like this -
I have an Airport Express upstairs with my tubes and JBLs,
I have another downstairs in the TV room, and a 3rd one on our screened in porch out back with a boombox.
So I can use my iPhone to select and play songs (or playlists) from my MacPro, and they will go over wifi to the 3 Airport Express units in the house. I just need to turn the hifi in the room I am in to AUX (or whatever source the Airport is plugged into) and the music will come out there.
I can even let it play in all 3 places at one if I want to ...

In your house, you put an Airport Express into your console, run a minijack to stereo RCA-phono adapter-cord into the AUX or whatever on your console, and you are done.

If you want to play directly from your phone, unplug the wire from the Airport express and plug it into the headphone jack of your phone ...

Last edited:
Honest, those Apple Airport Express units work great!

AEx-502CRC-rack-0153 small.jpg
AEx-BackPorch-ALTEC-P8674.jpg

That's probably what I'll end up doing - put another Airport Express in the console.
Thanks hjames.

Back
Top Bottom