Please help me choose..Pioneer SX-850 or Sansui G-6700

TwistedE

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. Glad to say that this forum has helped me out a ton on my research of vintage amps. I'm in my early twenties and I heard a vintage amp at a friends place and I was hooked.

I've been hunting the local classifieds lately and I found two.

Pioneer SX-850 - http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/110412/315r3/1626b40_20.jpeg

or Sansui G-6700 - http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/image.php?image=2194491&is_user=0

Both are available for $250 CAD....I know its a lot more than what I've seen other pay for these items in thrift stores...I've checked a few pawn shops and they didn't have any like these and I'm resorting to buying from private selllers and this is ofcourse the great white north so everything is more expensive.

Which receiver is better? I know the power difference is 65W vs 90W but the pioneer has a loyal and wide following but the Sansui does not show up so much on a google search.

Any reviews, anyone owned either one? They both look fantastic....the pioneers even been reconditioned on the outside a bit so thats a plus. The sansui just looks good the way it is.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

As for speakers, right now they'll power my crappy bookshelfs but I'll be buying a pair of advent loudspeakers or energy 22's in the near future.

I can't speak for the Pioneer unit, but I believe that the Sansui on CAM is from 'Lloyd N.', a respected seller. Sansui 'G' units are well thought of, but the cosmetics (analog/digital hybrid) throw some off. Me, I like...:yes:

{Should add that I have met Lloyd once, bought a unit from him, and we have traded 2-3 E-Mails over as many years. That's the extent of my knowledge/ dealings with him}

Last edited:
I would pick the Sansui over the Pioneer. I had a G-6700 when I was in my early twenties. I worked, overworked, abused, and at times flat out throttled the heck out of it. Always sounded great, clear, and even played my ex's quiet ( elevator music) material very nicely. Not quite as classy in the looks as the Pioneer, but built very well. No pre/main outs on the G's, and the tape monitor buttons need to be cleaned regularly. I had mine for 7 or 8 years before I finally moved on. Just my .02 .........

either way

you're in for a world of hurt. waste your money on something modern that will last a couple years.

Pioneer

OK, I'll go against the grain and vote for the Pioneer.
I've never had a 850, I do like my 650 and have a 750 and 450.
For some reason the 750 doesn't get rotated into use much (yet).
I had a G-5000 but just didn't like the sound as much as the Pioneers.

I do like the older Sansui. My 5000a and 661 and 771 are OK.

To my ears the older units and the Pioneers have a richer warmer sound, more towards the Marantz sound.

I am an old rock and roller. A lot depends on what you like to listen to and how you like it. To my ears, the Sansui (G-5000) had a "cleaner crisper" sound. I traded it for a Marantz.

YMMV

bingo

i'll put up the cheapest cambridge audio integrated and tuner against anything from the old days hooked up to whatever speakers you want and guess which wins hands down. sorry. i've got a den full of that old crap. it looks nice in a dark room and heats it up nicely in the winter, but that's it.

i'll put up the cheapest cambridge audio integrated and tuner against anything from the old days hooked up to whatever speakers you want and guess which wins hands down. sorry. i've got a den full of that old crap. it looks nice in a dark room and heats it up nicely in the winter, but that's it.

Well, that would be tantamount to scrapping your old Trans Am in the Cash for Clunkers program and running out to buy a new Kia because it advertises "250 HP" and will do 75 on the freeway just like your TPI.

Yes, some of the currently manufactured equipment can sound cleaner and punch as hard as the vintage gear, but since the late '80s most of what has penetrated the market is throw-away merchandise.

I picked up a used SX-850 for $100 and added $30 worth of caps, dial, and indicator lamps, and a few pennies worth or furniture oil. I doubt the OP could find a suitable, modern alternative for under $150.

Well, that would be tantamount to scrapping your old Trans Am in the Cash for Clunkers program and running out to buy a new Kia because it advertises "250 HP" and will do 75 on the freeway just like your TPI.

Yes, some of the currently manufactured equipment can sound cleaner and punch as hard as the vintage gear, but since the late '80s most of what has penetrated the market is throw-away merchandise.

I picked up a used SX-850 for $100 and added $30 worth of caps, dial, and indicator lamps, and a few pennies worth or furniture oil. I doubt the OP could find a suitable, modern alternative for under $150.

is it ok of the op sends it to you for the tuneup?

i have a pioneer 1250 and 10 year old el cheapo cambridge audio tuner and integrated right here i can hook up to a pair of focal 714's. or a couple of panasonic 'thrusters'. a deaf man will pick the c.a. 100/100. get real.

Thanks for all the replies everyone except speidi1.....you obviously don't know what performance/price ratio is and also that I want to buy the item because of its looks also which are absolutely fantastic. Cambridge audio prices are way too inflated for my purpose which is just stereo listening of pretty much all types of music (rock, funk, hip hop, jazz)

Just to add more drama to the mix....I found two more receivers ....an Onkyo Tx-8500 Original not Mark II with 110WPC in great condition fro 275 and a Realistic STA-2100D for 280. I figured I might go with the baddest receiver under $300 and then upgrade speakers when I get the cash. Are Realistic receivers good? I read that they are similar to pioneer but some people bash it because it was a Radioshack model and not upto the likes of the big Marantz or Pioneers of the time.

Link for the Realistic: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/224080-realistic_2100d_receiver_in_mint_condition/

No link for the Onkyo as the ad expired but I've been in contact with the seller and he still has it.

Any opinions now? Is my philosophy of buying the biggest receiver a sound decision or will the smaller ones suffice? I know the Onkyo is wide a truck and the Realistic is just massive on all counts and probably my favourite in terms of looks.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies everyone except speidi1.....you obviously don't know what performance/price ratio is and also that I want to buy the item because of its looks also which are absolutely fantastic. Cambridge audio prices are way too inflated for my purpose which is just stereo listening of pretty much all types of music (rock, funk, hip hop, jazz)

Just to add more drama to the mix....I found two more receivers ....an Onkyo Tx-8500 Original not Mark II with 110WPC in great condition fro 275 and a Realistic STA-2100D for 280. I figured I might go with the baddest receiver under $300 and then upgrade speakers when I get the cash.

Link for the Realistic: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/224080-realistic_2100d_receiver_in_mint_condition/

No link for the Onkyo as the ad expired but I've been in contact with the seller and he still has it.

Any opinions now? Is my philosophy of buying the biggest receiver a sound decision or will the smaller ones suffice? I know the Onkyo is wide a truck and the Realistic is just massive on all counts and probably my favourite in terms of looks.

ten years from now you'll wish you spent your money on camel wides... or maybe music

ten years from now you'll wish you spent your money on camel wides... or maybe music
Instead of pointlessly belittling my choices in a receiver, would you care to suggest a specific model in my price point that would serve me better?

...or maybe replace the long dead Cambridge Audio stuff. As you can see, its all relative. Nice try to derail the thread though.

Instead of pointlessly belittling my choices in a receiver, would you care to suggest a specific model in my price point that would serve me better?

the only receiver i could recommend would be the outlaw retro. i've had one for five years; however, it's over rated.

look at cambridge audio. they sell a bunch of integrateds from cheap to expensive and a couple tuners reasonably priced. i've had my T500 and A500 for about ten years. they've been powered on about 99% of that time. front panels are aluminum, power cords are replaceable, line plugs are gold plated (big deal), plenty of inputs. this particular integrated has an optional mm phono circuit which i installed myself. i use a project debut III USB for vinyl. my speakers are wharfedales, focals, and an old pair of sansui 3500's. as i said before, a pioneer 1250 can't match up. all my music goes on hard drives. no need for reel to reels anymore.

spend your money on speakers and music. i used to collect vintage receivers but finally came to my senses and sold it all. i made a ton of money. the only ancient thing i have left is a pioneer 424 (hooked up to my sansuis) because that was my first receiver. five years ago i had my mcintosh 1700, 1900 and 4100 on craig's list for about fifteen minutes. today they'd probably last 20 what with the depression.

All nice choices that's for sure. I'd normally go for the Sansui, but that Pioneer looks awful nice, so does the Realistic. Tough call, can't go wrong with either.

I would recommend that a good place to start would be by using the "Search" located near the top of the page ('whoops, in rereading your post, sounds like you've already found it). There is an amazing wealth of accumulated knowledge here at AK. While it is best to be able to actually hear the piece one is considering buying (preferably with the speakers one plans on using), unfortunately that is not always possible. Previous input can at least give one an idea of the overall sound qualities and/or potential problems of a piece.

It has been my experience that while it is nice to have plenty of power if you need it to run inefficient speakers or for hosting dance parties, sometimes the lower powered receivers/amps in a series have a "sweeter" sound. I have also found that this is where one can find some real value. As far as value vs features, I've read that the best bang for the buck is often the model one down from top of the line.

I started down a similar path as you about a decade ago. I now have a vintage Nikko/Advent system that I really like. It has been fun (mostly) trying different pieces by various manufacturers. I am fortunate in having a local affordable tech that can fix the problems that almost inevitably crop up with these old electronics.

Good luck and welcome to AK!

Last edited:
longevity

The Onkyo is a nice unit. A little on the high side for a non-mkii (IMHO).

Old v New.

I lean towards to old stuff with component parts, and those that I can find service manuals for (free is good).

As long as there is some form of equivelent parts being made, things can be fixed. The new units with specialized IC components will be trash when they give out and the parts are unobtainium.

I have a nice Marantz 2385 that had a wire short and blown resistor (going to cost me $1 to fix).

I have a real nice Pioneer ELITE DVD player that was crazy good and spendy and the drive won't work and I don't hink its worth fixing. No service manuals online and even if I had one. I cannot see how the hell you could do any work on it. Things are just too packed to be able to probe for trouble shooting.

This is just my take on "NEW" stuff. I just lost faith in the 80s when everything started to go towards "throw away".

It's a good thing that people have adopted that attitude. I get a LOT of great stuff dirt cheap because people think its old and broke. It usually takes a cleaning and may run to $20 in parts to get it all good again.

As long as we can learn to fix and repair things or find someone that can, the vintage will rule. They cannot make things that nice and hit a reasonable selling price.

Thanks again for the advice.

Why is it that more people don't go for integrated amps with a tuner if the combo works out to the same price as a vintage receiver. As i just checked, the A500 int amp goes for about $250 CAD and the T500 tuner goes for about $125 CAD. How can its 65wpc keep pace with the Onkyo's 110wpc or the Realistic STA-2100D 105wpc and lets not forget these were conservatively rated.

At what point do integrated amps become better than receivers?

Also, no love for the Realistic receiver? For some reason, I feel like I must have it based on pure looks lol but a review or two would be more useful.

Back
Top Bottom