Please help me to cull my Hifi equipment.

AmpyAmperson

Hi folks,

I've got a move coming up and have to shrink down my audio gear I really need to simplify things so I'm calling on Ak'ers to help make the tough decisions. I will only have space for 4-5 amplifiers so I need to sell up, if any of these are stand outs and should be repaired and put into use or any opinions on which units people would suggest keeping please let me know.

Amps:
Marantz PM-19 *in use as main setup (my only newish amp I've seen selling used for around 700USD apparently a good one but there's little info available online)
Toshiba sc-335 power and matching sy-335 Pre *in use bedroom setup
Akai AA-1050 receiver ( from heavy smoker's house - working great though)
Akai AA-1040 (one channel not working replaced with the aa-1050)
Pioneer A-5 (bought it serviced)
Sansui Au-g33x ( fine except balance pot not working)
JVC 4VN-550 (I'm not a fan of the sound of this one)
Realistic STA-90 receiver ( one channel blown but was a great warm sound before it blew)
Yamaha A-500 (one channel blown- was very clean and sweet sounding before)
Hitachi ha-300 (failed repair needs new transistors and maybe more)
Hitachi SR-903 (a Big Beast its works fine but one channel occasionally drops out and is always about 20% quieter than other)
Denon PMA-530 (Misled by buyer - ended up being Japanese model so needs a step down transformer to run)

Speakers:
I need to decide between my Wharfedale linton 3xp and Sansui SP-70.
Keeping B&O beovox s75 (getting tweeter repaired- Great 4 way sound and design), Realistic minimus-26 and JPW sonatas

All gear was bought second hand but in working condition from private sellers, and the units have died over the years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

These are all fine pieces, aside from the age and lack of restorations. If it were me, I would either (1) pick two or three favorites (I can’t suggest which) and have them fully restored by a reputable tech, or (2) sell everything, become an AK subscriber and buy a restored unit off of Barter Town (there are some great deals available), or (3) sell everything and buy a new amp. There are lots of nice, new amps out there that aren’t terribly expensive. I’d probably lean toward option 2 or 3.

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely a fan of the vintage gear the Marantz is from 1998 so not too old and scratching the modern equipment itch. I probably wouldn't get much for some of the not fully functioning units , I was considering trading some of them in to a local vintage hifi shop and getting credit for repairs done to the more worthy units.

I was considering trading some of them in to a local vintage hifi shop and getting credit for repairs done to the more worthy units.

Sounds like a plan.

I did much the same awhile back. It was a relief to clear-out the lessor pieces.
Taking a whole stack to the local shop was also far easier than trying to sell them individually.
Gave away a fair bit as well.
Depends on what your priority is. Money or having less equipment to move?

Had two SS amps and a preamp rebuilt.
Still looking at a few things which are worth more to me as parts than as functioning amps.

Cassette players are all gone. I've one R2R left [probably on it's way out]. One CD player.
Still too many turntables and speakers/drivers, but I'm working on it.

I'm actually afraid to look at the tube stuff. Chances are I'm keeping it all [ugh].

Definitely keep those Toshiba units. I have the power amp and I'm selling off a whole bunch of gear too (a much longer list) - the Toshiba will stay.

sell the broken units and the ones you don't like. especially if you've had them for a while
and haven't the energy/motivation to fix them. then use the money to refurb/blueprint/fix
the ones you really want to keep.

it shouldn't be a matter that I-simply-have-to-make-money-on-everything-I-bought
or I-have-to-have-this-splendid-example. it's all about the music. and to enjoy.

I count 8 units I would sell/giveaway - then there's about 5 left, and probably only
1 or 2 to keep.

Quality, absolutely. I would sell everything and buy something better.
You have an opportunity to make a vertical move rather than horizontal.
That was my plan when I got into separate components (preamp, power amp, tuner). Each time something stopped working properly, I bought something better. I now have one stereo, each component is exactly what I want and I'm satisfied.

If you sell, realistically you'll probably take a bath. I know this because I've done it before and will do it again just to clean house. A few years ago I sold a garage full of equipment for $1000 and everybody was happy. This time I have a ton of power amps (Heathkit, Pilot, Fisher, Golden Tube Audio and Dynaco) that I want to sell because they just take up space. I'm going to take pictures, list them on Craigs List or Facebook for local pickup only and sell them all as one lot, cash only. That way the buyer can examine everything and I don't have to worry about shipping or returns. The last time I listed on Craigs List, the emails started coming in 15 minutes after I posted (search engines) and kept coming and coming until I took the listing down. There were people offering to pay more than my asking price after I made the deal. You'll have no problem and can make a very vertical improvement.

Just my 2 cents. That's my philosophy.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom