1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Please help to re-string the tuner of HK 930 receiver

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by kotofei, Nov 4, 2018.

1. kotofei

kotofei permanent gear evolution Subscriber

Hello,

I have a Harman Kardon 930 receiver in which the tuner string was very loose and rotation of the wheel didn't move the pointer. So I removed the string and tighten it up a little bit where it contacts the dial spring; however, I can't put the whole thing back.

I have a SM and routed the string the proper way but if I put the dial spring into the drum where it was the pointer can't be moved more than 2/3 of the scale. To allow it to be moved the whole scale that little black dial spring should be completely removed from the drum.

Please help, I really don't know what to do.

Thank you.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Punker X

Punker X Moderator Moderator Subscriber

When you look at the diagram make sure the pointer is in the correct position, it will be at one end of the dial or the other. The front-end should be fully closed or open. Sounds like you strung so it won't move end to end.

3. kotofei

That's exactly what I did- moved pointer to one end of the dial or to other and opened or closed front end correspondingly. All what I could get is shown on the attached picture: with the string in the wrong position, it worked.

Attached Files:

4. kotofei

Done!

I didn't know that the pointer can be moved along the string.

The procedure is: move the front end to opened or closed position; make one full turn of the string around the drum; slide the pointer along the spring in such a way that it's at the appropriate end of the scale; and insert in the drum the dial spring with one end of spring. Then the loose piece of spring should be wrapped around the drum and the whole assembly then rotated applying some force until the other end of string could be inserted into the drum. After this, the position of the pointer should be checked and it should be moved along the spring to the appropriate position. Finally, the spring should be secured within the drum by attaching its free end to the special hook in the drum.

Difficult to do without the explanation and the SM only shows the overall schematics. On the other hand, a very good gymnastics for the brain.

5. Punker X

Punker X Moderator Moderator Subscriber

Always in for a good time when string is involved.