Please HELP with BSR Record Changer!!!!

jmarley7

What I have is a Heathkit AD-27 Cabinet unit. It has a BSR 500A Record Changer. I know, not a great turntable and hardly worth fixing. I just believe that the entire package is pretty cool and would like to have it all working correctly. I have done a lot of research on these tables and have managed to get everything unstuck and relubed (I think).

The problem I am having with this unit is that when it is initiated it starts fine and the arm moves over to the record and sets down properly. But, after about 2-3 seconds the arm lifts and returns to it's home position, only to repeat the whole process again, and again, and again until switched off. It will do this whether I use auto or manual.

It seems to me that there is still something stuck somewhere. Could be in the start-up mechanism or maybe in the record holder arm mechanism.

I've included some pic's of the unit. If anyone has any ideas on possible problems or solutions, could you please respond. Thank You!!!!

Attachments

• BSR TURNTABLE 002.JPG
    BSR TURNTABLE 002.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 17
  • BSR TURNTABLE 003.JPG
    BSR TURNTABLE 003.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 15
  • BSR TURNTABLE 006.JPG
    BSR TURNTABLE 006.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 15
  • BSR TURNTABLE 004.JPG
    BSR TURNTABLE 004.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 15
  • BSR TURNTABLE 005.JPG
    BSR TURNTABLE 005.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 15
Something is still stuck or needing adjustment. From your description, it sounds like it is triggering the end-of-record mechanism as soon as it starts playing.. Have a look at the big cogged wheel (usually under the platter) that has the big cam slot in it that drives these operations. On it will be a small device that is used to detect the faster movement of the arm when it reaches the end of the record in the leadout grooves. It's called a velocity trip mechanism. It needs to be able to move very freely (usually it should have no grease or oil on it) and be reset by the mechanism as it starts play each time. The actual way it is done varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even model to model, so I can't describe what exactly you will find. You have to observe, and maybe watch how it operates slowly (power off, turning by hand) and, well, just figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom