Please Post your Infinity speakers

Got my RS-1s from Ken today. They're beauties! Can't wait to hear them sing!

OooohHH!

Let's see my current inventory of Infinity

Qa
RS 525 (My only owned since new Infinity since I sold/gave my brother my Kappa 7.1)
Infintesimal IV (soon to be two pairs)
Crescendo 3007
Crescendo 3009
Renaissance 90. :D

I'm hoping to find a Modulus sub some day.

jaz

Last edited:
Looking for a nice of speakers and have run onto a set of Infinitys, the QA. These pretty good and worth $100? And having to drive 3.5 hrs one way to buy them is also why I'm asking.

Last edited:
Here's my list:

Primus P362
2000AXT
RS-10b
Qb
WTLC
RS 2.5

I've come close to buying RS 1's and RS 4.5's but always remind myself that my largest room (14'x14') simply won't let me experience what those speakers can really do (beyond my 2.5's). So now I'm thinking about doing the Graz upgrade on the EMIMs.

Here's my list:

Primus P362
2000AXT
RS-10b
Qb
WTLC
RS 2.5

I've come close to buying RS 1's and RS 4.5's but always remind myself that my largest room (14'x14') simply won't let me experience what those speakers can really do (beyond my 2.5's). So now I'm thinking about doing the Graz upgrade on the EMIMs.

I can fully recommend Graz ribbons for the EMIM's.
You will get better resolution and much better dynamics!

I bought 14 of them for my RS1b.
First 2 then the rest.
And I can tell You this. The RS1b had a reviewers reputation of having trouble handling the transition between the EMIM and the bass towers and I concur to that.
But with Graz ribbons, this problem is totally gone as the ribbons do not have the dynamic restrictions that the original membranes have.
And the proof is QUITE obvious when tested!
The original membranes have a significant dynamic and low frequency limitation and that limitation lays in the membrane design as such.

Cheers!

OooohHH!

Let's see my current inventory of Infinity

Qa
RS 525 (My only owned since new Infinity since I sold/gave my brother my Kappa 7.1)
Infintesimal IV (soon to be two pairs)
Crescendo 3007
Crescendo 3009
Renaissance 90. :D

I'm hoping to find a Modulus sub some day.

jaz
Yeah I've discovered they're nice speakers. But I need a real amp to drive the top end. Hopefully a set of VTLs will come my way.

I can fully recommend Graz ribbons for the EMIM's.
You will get better resolution and much better dynamics!

I bought 14 of them for my RS1b.
First 2 then the rest.
And I can tell You this. The RS1b had a reviewers reputation of having trouble handling the transition between the EMIM and the bass towers and I concur to that.
But with Graz ribbons, this problem is totally gone as the ribbons do not have the dynamic restrictions that the original membranes have.
And the proof is QUITE obvious when tested!
The original membranes have a significant dynamic and low frequency limitation and that limitation lays in the membrane design as such.

Cheers!

Thanks, that's good to know. My 2.5's also seem not quite seemless at the transition. I've been debating over spending nearly what I paid for the speakers, just to ensure they last as long as my hearing. Prices are climbing on used EMIMs and there might be nothing at all available when I eventually need replacements. One of mine has some sharp wrinkles, two others are a bit wavy. I don't hear any buzzing, rattling or other untoward sounds like some have mentioned, even at the highest volumes I care to listen. These are the first speakers I've had that don't start sounding rough before my SPL limit.

+1 on the replacement ribbons. My experience matches what has already been reported.
I liked them so much that I now have 13 of them with a set in both RS 4.5 and RS 2.5 (plus a spare as I got a good deal on the extra one). Im also keeping a set of original drivers and a couple of drawers full of other assorted parts (magnets, ribbons and so on) Im now good for awhile. The only problem is I have stopped cycling through the differnt speakers I have and I really only listen to the 4.5s now. While they like a big room, I had them in a smaller office (while I made myself a larger space) and they worked surprisingly well as the worlds largest near field monitors

K

RS1b's, a bit different.

Panels biwired mid from high, yes it does make a difference and no risk of the active servo cables falling out or shorting with this modification.
A view of the power station too...man they sound great!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2196 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2196 (Large).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2201 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2201 (Large).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2202 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2202 (Large).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 79
My ES-103 Nightmare

I owned a pair of these in the early 80's and loved them. I bought the current set off eBay knowing that there were some problems. They sound rumbly when turned up just a bit and there is not much help when the loudness/bass is turned down. There is little visible speaker damage. I am running these on a Kenwood KR-3600 for now. :music: are these rebuildable? Are they worth it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 59
I owned a pair of these in the early 80's and loved them. I bought the current set off eBay knowing that there were some problems. They sound rumbly when turned up just a bit and there is not much help when the loudness/bass is turned down. There is little visible speaker damage. I am running these on a Kenwood KR-3600 for now. :music: are these rebuildable? Are they worth it?

I don't know those speakers in particular, but my guess is that the woofer surround foam is rotting. Search the forums for "refoam" to get an idea for what needs to be done.

Hey there new to Audio Karma, I will start digging through forums. I got a pair of infinity 2500 bookshelf speakers included with my first vintage stereo set up. I am looking to locate a set of grills. I figured I might start here.

Infinity Servo Stat / SS1-A Speakers

I decided to rotate my Infinity Servo-Stats back into use so while I was at it, I figured I would post a few pics.

First pics are of the 18” servo controlled sub woofer with the infinity amp/crossover network sitting on top. It’s my understanding that infinity sourced this woofer from Cerwin Vega. This setup is veneered in Brazilian Rosewood and when seen in real life, looks like a piece of art. It’s truly stunning in appearance.

The other pic is one of two, electrostatic mid/tweeter panels.

The SS1-A speaker system requires three amplifiers. The infinity amp drives the sub and one each amplifier (of your choice), drives the mid-range/tweeter panels. The amount of wiring to hook it all up is pretty substantial.

Although they are fully functional, I decided to build new bias supply boards being these take the abuse, of about 4kv of voltage. I’m also going to try to rebuild a couple of bad spare mid-range panels just in case (more like when) one of the working ones, go bad. In the meantime, I’ll keep looking for some good old ones or I’ll have to scratch build new ones, if I’m not successful.

These speakers were far ahead of their time and even today, they sound amazing.

Attachments

• DSCN1612.jpg
    DSCN1612.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN1613.jpg
    DSCN1613.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN1619.jpg
    DSCN1619.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 123
I have a pair of RSb's that I refoamed and a newly aquired pair of Qe's I got for free. Frankly I like the Qe's a LOT better right now.

Very nice! Just brought a pair home yesterday needing some tlc. Will cost me a tune up on a buddy`s Aprilia.

What amp are you using. Thinking of using my GFP-565/GFA-555II to at least try out.

dsc05619z.jpg

Is that an '83 Katana hiding behind your Infinity's??

It is. A few modernizations. Unfortunately I ended up selling it.

How unfortunate......wish I had kept a few of my 80's vintage sport bikes.

83 was the best Katana....and IMHO, about the best looking motorcycle produced bar none........

Back
Top Bottom