Please recommend replacement for JBL 033 tweeter

Rex Everything

are you Shpongled?
Subscriber
What is the best replacement for the JBL 033 tweeter? I have a pair of L110's that both the tweeters are toast and need to be replaced.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know near enough about which tweeter can mate with which speakers but I have the JBL L150a's and they use the 044 tweeter....I LOVE the sound that this tweeter produces. One of mine just went out and I purchased a replacement from Fhamre here at AudioKarma.

Again, I don't know if the 044 will mate properly with the L110's....

Thanks for the links Zilch.

I was aware that JBL did not have a replacement. I was looking for the best possible or even better than stock replacement.

I'll look on LH and at the links you provided.

The problem with the 033 is the HUGE faceplate, relative to other tweeters.

If someone wanted to send me a dead 033, I could experiment with trying to retrofit other tweeters behind the stock faceplate... should be able to find SOMETHING that would work well.

Regards,
Gordon.

IIRC, the 035 has a smaller flange than the 033. Might be able to retrofit the magnet and dome carrier to the 033 faceplate... but I can't make any promises.

Regards,
Gordon.

Just measured 035tiA a couple of days ago at 5", IIRC. For customization, the less-expensive 052ti might also be a candidate.

I don't understand why they say 034 is "Not safe," when the crossover frequency is 4 kHz. Admittedly, it's just single-pole, but the series notch assists at the bottom end; it's down 18 dB by 1 kHz:

Attachments

• L110 HF.jpg
    L110 HF.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 15
My L150's use 033's. A while back I bought a pair of 034 tweeters to try out just for the hell of it. They fit fine, and sounded great, at low volumes. The 034 has a plastic casing while the 033 casing is metal. In my L150's the plastic 034's would vibrate at higher volumes making noise that distracted from the music.

Not sure if you would have the same problem with an L110, though you could always try to reinforce the plastic somehow.

Back
Top Bottom