Plugging power supply into reveiver power output

Saalor

Are their any drawbacks from plugging into the power output plug on the back of a receiver?

I bought the parts express 5.1 compatible digital decoder to convert my tv optical audio out to rca cables for my Marantz receiver but my power bar has no open outlets. So I plugged the dac 's wall wart into the power outlet on the back of the marantz. Any downside of doing this? It works fine but I wonder if that saps the volume produced by the receiver or might cause some damage.

Last edited:
The (UN)SWITCHED accessory(?) plugs have a power consumption limit, ref owners manual. Provided the item does
not exceed this limit then all is ok. The UNSWITCHED is preferrable since you don't increase the current draw through
the switch, down side is that it's "always on". A DAC shouldn't have a high power consumption so either (UN)SWITCHED
should be OK.

A dac is drawing minimal power so it won't be a drain on it's power supply. Kind of like the amount of blood a mosquito gets out of you compared to how much your heart pumps. If both supplies are designed correctly there shouldn't be any nasty interactions between them. On the other hand a power strip that has no individual filters on each output won't stop those interactions anyway. If you can't hear it then I would say your safe.

Back
Top Bottom