Plumbing/sink drain relocation?

Maybe doing yourself a favor if you were to mount the sink temporarily to a couple 2x4s, using spacers on the ends to get rid of the bow?

PS ... if you need some help installing that drain, I'm a vast suppository of plumbing wisdom! <G>

SeenBetterDays.jpg

I tried to straighten the bow by using a makeshift press made of a few pieces of wood and a big c-clamp. Despite pushing the bow over-center far as I dared go, it just sprung back with minimal change. Not pleased there was a bow and had to take extra measures. The back was straight so it shows Kohler can do it but, overall, satisfied with installed results. Might drop them a line just to mention it.

Figured I'd give the drain pipe a try last night. Put on the backup wrench and the main wrench, barely gave a pull and I hear "clink". A horizontal line that tees into the part I was working on snapped clean off where it threaded into the tee. So, i have another short section of pipe to replace. Pretty sure I'm done with the wrenches; got the Sawzall from the garage last night. It's all warmed up for this AM.

Sawzall 3, pipe 0. Took all of about 90 seconds blade time to make the three cuts. Maybe 5-10 minutes total to admire my handywork. LOL.

Almost like a hot knife through butter, and the two cut sections that matter have good walls. :thumbsup:

Ok, here's a few pics (yeah, probably should have done counter at the same time but that's part of a much bigger project down the road).

Before:

20161230_080150.jpg

After:

Ended up not moving the drain hole. Was enough room and much easier to assemble it as you see rather than up between the floor joists in the basement.

20170101_121908.jpg

20170101_122024.jpg

VZM.IMG_20161230_153611.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

Sink has been sitting full of water for 1/2 hour, no sign of leaks. Had one slow drop forming on one of the under sink shutoffs. Took it apart, didn't see anything out of order and isn't leaking now on reassembly.

Looks like it's time to put away the tools and do the final cleanup. :thumbsup:

This house I am in has a similar dilemma--it needs the drain pipe moved, but it is impossible to get at--it is inside the wall. The problem is that the pipe in the wall is too high. So, the plumbing with the disposal is a mess, and I am betting everything under the sink is acting as a trap (and it does stop up a couple of times per month). It occurred to me why the pipe is too high where it comes out of the wall--when these houses were built in 1940, disposals were just slowly being introduced to the market. So, the drain would only have had a trap below it originally. On top of it, the old pipes around here are galvanized steel, so they run rather poorly at times.

Pretty half hearted effort on that drain, eh.

Really ... it's pretty, AND it looks like half a heart. <G>

Man, I have a double porcelain sink set in very similar gray marble look Formica, and I would love to have that stainless sink in there. And I'd like to redo the counters, the one on the opposite side is even a different finish.

Back
Top Bottom